Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power For Comp

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

Ok well i am getting a free computer from my grand parents because they got a new one but the thing is the computer doesnt turn on and i was wondering if anybody could help me with this. I dont realy want to spend alot of money so someone can fix it when i could probly do it myself.
I can only learn what i want to learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

First thing to do is to:
Unplug it from the wall
Open the case
Ground yourself by hanging onto the metal frame
Clean it out
Unplug, clean, and plug all the stuff back in

Then try it and see if it works - we'll go from there!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Ground yourself by hanging onto the metal frame

?

And i wont have the computer for probly another week or 2 and how would yous suggest cleaning the parts and the plug ?

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

One of the easiest ways is to use compressed air (air in a can). It blasts away the dust with high-pressured air. You can find it at pretty much any radio shack or electronics store. It does wonders, especially if you have pets....

#5 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:52 PM

Well radio shack is called the source and how much is a can and does dust actualy mess up the computer ?

#6 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:19 PM

Sorry for double post but would it be good to clean your comp out with compressed air every few months or like ever year?

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

You may be interested in this tutorial - Cleaning the Interior of your PC

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:50 PM

I have found the cheapest place on air is Rite Aid.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

? is that a canadian store ?

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:48 PM

I don't think so. CVS is Canadian.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:26 PM

Just to clarify questions here. It is stilled called RadioShack in the US but it ways the canadian branch was bought by Circuit City and is now named The Source by Circuit City (hey hey get it now...)

BTW You can find compressed air at Wal-Mart for about 10$CAD

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:47 AM

"Ground yourself by hanging onto the metal frame"

This prevents static electricity from building up in you and discharging into the components that you touch. I've lost a lot of stuff by not following this advice!

You can also buy an anti-static wrist strap at Radio Shack for a couple of dollars that will serve the same purpose.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

So basicly keep my hand or arm on the tower box ? and thank you for the price.

#14 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:48 PM

Yeah cause if you discharge any stattic electricity you can easily fry the mother board. If possible try doing this in a clear table and preferably if you can get a room with no carpet is the best to minimize the chances

#15 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

Well most of my house is covered in hardwood accept the hallway and living room so that wont be to hard and also if cleaning the dust out and the plug doesnt work do i need to buy a new mother board ? and also would it be cheaper to buy a new comp then to replace all the bad parts in the comp with new up to date parts cause i was thinking on slowly upgrading this computer aswell i dont know how well it works right now either so i need to get my hands on it soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users