Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly shutting down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drake227

drake227

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

For some odd reason my computer in the past few months will randomly turn off when playing games. I don't get a blue screen or a windows shutdown it will just completely turn off. I was thinking it was a power supply issue due to the fact that the computer has a 400w power supply which is less than what is recommended for my graphics card. After upgrading to a 600w psu this issue still persists. I have checked my temperatues during load and my gpu will shoot up to 110°c. It can turn off within minutes or never at all. My drivers are updated and I have changed the Windows settings to disable auto-shutdown in the even of a system failure and my problem still persists which leads me to believe its a power issue.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs: Windows Vista 64-bit
Intel Q9400 Quad Core Processor
ATI Radeon HD 4850
Corsair GS600 Power Supply
Intel G33 Mobo

Edited by drake227, 31 January 2012 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Simple stuff first: Blow out the dust from the insides of the PC and verify every fan's operation. Look carefully at the heatsink on the video card and make sure the spaces between the fins are clear.

Make sure that the air being blown out of the computer is actually hot.

Edited by LucheLibre, 31 January 2012 - 06:17 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 drake227

drake227
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

The card sits with the fan facing downwards so not a whole lot of dust has accumulated but after blowing out all of the dust I am still idling at 83°C. But if the card were failing wouldn't I get a bsod instead of the power going out?

Edited by drake227, 31 January 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

No. Overheating and power issues create a wide range of symptoms. Other parts of the PC may be overheating as well. Your card exhausts inside the case, and if your case airflow has been insufficient, the hot air will sit on the card and surrounding space and shorten their lifespan. Also, an underpowered PSU can shorten the lifespan of parts.

Use Speccy to provide details of your computer's configuration.

• Download, install, and run.
  • After Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • A web address will be displayed. Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post. Include your computer's manufacturer and model number, as well.
=========================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 drake227

drake227
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

My computer is a Gateway Fx-6710

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dEoH47NdgTKyIUkwaeHWOPP

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

Graphics
E2750 (1280x800@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (ATI): 84 °C
Hard Drives
733GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721075KLA330 (SATA): 55 °C

This not only confirms your GPU heat, but also shows your hard drive is running warm. I would guess your case airflow is not set up properly or is being blocked by bad cable placement. OEM airflow is usually not that great to begin with.

The GPU may be well on its way to failure by now from the intense heat. Open the case and direct a strong fan (like a desk fan) onto the card and use the PC. Keep Speccy running to keep track of temperatures.

You can always disassemble the card's heatsink and make sure that there is no warpage where it contacts the GPU. You can also clean it and apply fresh thermal grease. Youtube has plenty of videos on the procedure.

Edited by LucheLibre, 01 February 2012 - 04:28 AM.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users