Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer has stopped working error msg

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 westsyde

westsyde

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

hello, ive been having a problem with internet explorer crashing since i bought my laptop. im using ie9 and i keep getting the msg saying internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close (i appoligize if its not the exact words). than it closes all my programs down. i dont know if it has to do with another problem i have been having while playing facebook games and watching movies using flash player. right out of the blue my game or movie (whichever im doing) freezes than either says i need to update flashplayer or it just shows a big "!" were my game or movie should be. i could have two completly differant problems im not sure. if you could please help me fix it because its soo annoying. and its a new computer (well bought in aug) :(
Thank you very much for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

hi, start with a IE9 repair .eitor run the fixit or do it manually ,info on this site
.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

also an option is to try another browser ,to see if it has same crashing problems , like maybe mozzila firefox ,
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

thank you very much for your reply i resetted my internet explorer settings so i will wait and see if it still happens. if it continues still i will download another browser and let you know how it all works out (probably in a day or 2 maybe 3 days lol...sometimes my browser may go a day or 2 without crashing and sometimes it happens lots in a day) thanks again :)

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

your welcome ,good luck

#5 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

hello. after resetting my ie it is still crashing. is their any possible solutions other than using a differant browser....because i dont really like change...lol.thank you very much :)

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

hello. after resetting my ie it is still crashing. is their any possible solutions other than using a differant browser....because i dont really like change...lol.thank you very much :)

firefox is a nice browser easy to use .lol

not sure as to what could be causing it to crash ,maybe you could try going back to IE8 or 7 even

what is the make and model # of your computer

#7 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

its a toshiba satellite c650-00f Model #PSC2EC-00F00 ( from walmart) and if i go back to IE 8 or 7 doesnt that leave me more volnerable for viruses?
and i was also thinking could a crappy internet make a browser crash? cuz i use telus and its always cutting in and out. sorry if thats a stupid question...lol.
are most sites compatible with firfox?
thank you

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

yeah i guess it could leave you a little vulnerable,but as long as you have a good antivirus program running you should be ok,nothing is 100% secure anyway .
for the freezing game and flash issue ,maybe try loading the version the link below ,un-check the box for installing the McAfee security scanner ,if you already have this version it will tell you and not install I think it should anyway ,as for the bad/slow internet provider ,it should not make it crash and give error message ,it would just stop loading anything into the browser
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Edited by caperjac, 01 February 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#9 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

ya i think i have that version of flash player. . maybe i will try firfox as every1 says its pretty much same as ie. i heard firfox has a bit of a antivirus or sumthing to. hopefully my browser doesnt crash using firefox :) and if it does i will let u know. could i find out why its crashing by looking in computer logs? because i have looked around on my computer and i see when it is crashing but i only know the basics of computers so i dont understand the logs.
thanks again

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

eventvwr.msc ,
copy paste that into the search box when you click start icon it will open event viewer check it for errors .

or this youtube video on using the event viewer .

#11 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

i checked my event veiwer and seen 2 repeating warnings but after googling them they seem quite common and dont cause problems on other ppls computers. i am going to download firefox (havent yet done that) and thank you for the helpful video on event veiwer. now i will know what to do if im having any other problems with my computer.
thanx again

#12 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

just a question does WOT (web of trust) add on work with firefox? if so how do i get the add on to work??

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:21 AM

personally i don't use it ,but i found this WOT for firefox
http://download.cnet.com/Web-of-Trust-for-Firefox/3000-11745_4-10588554.html

#14 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

thank you very much for the link. i love wot it has saved me from potentially harmful websites many times. i started using it after i got infected with a rootkit that nearly killed my computer. and so far im lovin firefox i guess a bit of change isnt all that bad..lol
thank you for your time and help it is greatly appriciated

#15 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

thank you very much for the link. i love wot it has saved me from potentially harmful websites many times. i started using it after i got infected with a rootkit that nearly killed my computer. and so far im lovin firefox i guess a bit of change isnt all that bad..lol
thank you for your time and help it is greatly appriciated

your welcome
change is great ,i have been trying for over 20 yrs to get my wife to change sides of the bed, but it a not go from her .lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users