Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some of my START,Programs sub folders are missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 s1m0nw

s1m0nw

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

hey there,

Ive recently recovered my computer from a few viruses which consisted of trojans and a MBR rootkit.

The problem I am having now is when I access START, PROGRAMS some folders are empty and I noticed windows media and office programs are removed themselves from here aswell.

So for example if I want to use Divx player if I goto that folder under Start - programs, it;ll say empty BUT I can open it from C:/program Files.

Same goes for windows media player but thats not working to its full capabilities.

Am using Windows 7 OS.

Any help on this will be great

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

It sounds like the Start Menu folder has been modified in a way which is actually fairly common among malware these days.

Check out this guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

There are several tools mentioned in the guide. The first, unhide.exe, removes the "Hidden" attribute of all non-system files and attempts to restore your Start Menu.

If unhide.exe can't restore the Start menu, then you'll want to download and use one of the Start Menu reset tools near the end of the guide; only use the one listed for your specific operating system. These reset tools won't fix everything, obviously, but they will restore the default Start menu.

Edited by Andrew, 31 January 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#3 s1m0nw

s1m0nw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for your help, Thats fixed things to a certain extent. Only the program menus still displaying empty.

I think I know why tho, I ran The Cccleaner and The Cleaner thats probs delelted the temp folders that Unhide.exe is looking for so looks like I'll need to re-install all the missing programs to get that back on Start - Programs.

Windows media player and others are back.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Yes, if you ran CCleaner then I'm afraid your original shortcuts are gone. You don't have to reinstall the applications to get them back, however. Just find the .exe file for the application you want and create a new shortcut for it and then move the shortcut to your C:\Users\<YourUserName>\Start Menu folder. You can create sub-folders in the Start Menu folder to organize your shortcuts, if desired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users