Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1545 water on keyboard, certain keys do not work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CHUPON

CHUPON

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hi,

I made the mistake of not watching my 2 year old 100% of the time and in 5 seconds I fear she may have damaged the keyboard controller on my wife's laptop.

Laptop specs:

Dell Inspiron 1545
Windows 7

I tried to turn the laptop upside down and let it dry out, but I fear some water may have gotten in the internal workings of the machine. The laptop appears to work just fine, but the keyboard does not. The first keyboard would cause all kinds of problems as I would expect when water contacts a keyboard so I replaced it with a brand new compatible keyboard. For the most part it functions properly without any issues, but certain keys do not. Specifically, the left side of the keyboard (imagine drawing a line from the 3 key diagonally down to the V key. Anything to the left of that does not work.

Is there anything I can do at this point or is it likely something the water fried? Perhaps the keyboard controller?

I do not have a warranty on this laptop so there is no chance I can get Dell to replace or repair this. As I understand, most keyboard controllers on laptops are mounted directly on the motherboard so that would need to be replaced if that's the case correct?

I have tested with a USB keyboard connected external to the laptop (as silly as that looks) and it works just fine. I also ran through Dell's diagnostic tool just to see if anything would pop up but everything passed.

If anyone has any recommendations on any next steps I can do I would appreciate it. This laptop is only three years old and I'd like to get some more life out of it if possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

First step be sure the keyboard cable is plugged in all the way and is inserted straight.

If still a problem and just in case the replacement keyboard is bad I would send it back and report it defective and ask for a replacement.

Next option is get a wireless keyboard that has for example a touchpad built in and use it with the laptop. I've seen them where they use a laptop keyboard and touchpad and wireless electronics . They are pretty portable.

You can see some images of them here. I use one of the ones with the touchopad below the keyboard on my main desktop computer.
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=593&q=small+wireless+keyboard+with+touchpad&gbv=2&oq=small+wireless+&aq=9&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2515l5140l0l10281l15l15l0l5l5l0l172l1045l2.6l8l0

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 CHUPON

CHUPON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for that. I actually tried two keyboards since the first did not work properly. The second one also had the same symptoms. I have tried removing and resetting the ribbon from the keyboard into the controller multiple times and this issue still occurs.

I may have to look at getting some like you mentioned.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users