Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CiTiBoY

CiTiBoY

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:20 AM

Trying to reinstall XP Pro to same drive as it was on after crash of XP. It was installed on a partitioned drive that also runs Win7. After format of the drive to be installe to which is D: drive, the install tries to go to E: drive and if installed names the drive F: drive. This is the first time I have encountered this type of problem. It should be simple, it was installed there and ran well there but now it wants to rename the drive and once installed XP will not allow you to change the drive letter. The other odd thing about it is that Win7 shows the drive as D: drive which is correct. Search of the net did not find any info I could use. Any help would be great.. I know I could format the whole drive but that may or may not resolve it, prefer to keep 7 in tact.

Thanks,
CiTiBoY :blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

General answers :).

When installed on a single drive, with only an optical drive attached...Windows installs to C:.

Any drives/partitions created after that start with E: and move through the alphabet in order, unless user decides to use a letter farther down (such as Y).

When doing a multiboot...it really doesn't matter what drive letter is assigned a partition created for ensuing Windows installs. Example: I dual-boot XP and Win 7. When I am in my XP install, my Win 7 install is viewed as E:. But when I am in my Win 7 install, it is my XP install which is viewed as E:. This occurs and is normal...because whatever version of Windows which is booted into...automatically is viewed as C: from within that install.

At that time, all other possible installs of Windows...are viewed as nothing but storage partitions/drives and the letters assigned them from that view really don't matter when booting into a Windows install.

If the system has hidden partitions or has partitions created by an OEM...so that the Windows partition appears to be something other than C:...that just adds to the confusion. But the key is to remember that any Windows partition which is booted into...will always be C: when looking at all other partitions that exist from within.

Note: Each time that Windows is installed, it takes inventory of existing partitions. If it sees that you have 3 partition and an optical drive, it will assign the letter G to the partition created. But...when that partition is booted into, it will refer to itself as C: and change the drive letters it assigns to all other partiions. It's an illusion of sorts but it's the way I see Windows working.

Louis

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 31 January 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#3 CiTiBoY

CiTiBoY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

I assume that from your response that I will not be able to ever install XP to D: drive then? This is a disappointment as it was shown as D: drive until I formatted the partition it was previously installed to. Now it displays as F: when I boot it up after installing to the same partition. I think I will start over and format the whole drive as there is no OEM stuff on it, bought the drive clean. Install XP first, then partition and install 7 to whatever drive it goes to as apprently there is no choosing and I do not like 7 and may never even try to use it again. :crazy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users