Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Genuine OS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 want2know2

want2know2

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

Hi, I have a question I want to upgrade my winxp professional to win7 but need to know if it is genuine. Now I bought this pc as a used one so do not have that info. How can I gather that info without getting to scan it with Microsoft genuine tool? Or can I go ahead and buy the win 7 and put it on my pc regardless?
Thanx
J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

<<...but need to know if it is genuine.>>

The simple answer is to do what you want to avoid...run the MS tool.

<<Or can I go ahead and buy the win 7 and put it on my pc regardless?>>

You could buy a full retail version (not upgrade version) of Win 7...and do a clean install, after deleting your possibly illegal version.

The upgrade version of Win 7 will only apply to a legally installed version of XP...it checks the system for such before proceeding with the install of Win 7.

MS Licensing FAQ

Louis

#3 want2know2

want2know2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

ooh shoot I just bought it online and see now that it is an upgrade version i paid for... what now??

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

The first thing you need to do (if you haven't already done this) is to make sure the computer is ready for Windows 7.

Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor found here http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

If it is ready for Windows 7, you have a couple of options. Someone else may present other options.

1) Full version retail. This can be transferred to another computer if you uninstall it from another system first.

2) An OEM disk. Costs less than the retail version. Can only be installed on one system, cannot move from one computer to another one.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hmmm...the first thing I would do find out whether I have a legal version of XP installed.

If not, there is little point in persisting with this line of questioning, IMO. I've pretty much outlined the alternatives that exist, those don't change because of anything that you do or have done.

Illegal versions don't qualify for upgrades of any type, as I interpret the MS documentation.

Louis

I previously thought it unnecessary to state this, but following is a quote from the forum rules:

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Edited by hamluis, 31 January 2012 - 01:07 PM.
Added quote from forum rules.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

hamluis is correct-first order of business is to determine whether you have a legal copy of Windows installed.

If it is legal, then you can determine if the system is ready for Windows 7.

The only way you will know for sure is to run the validation tool. Is there a reason you are hesitant about doing that? The worst that could happen is being told it isn't legal, then you could deal with getting a legal copy of the operating system.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 January 2012 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users