Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trend Titanium Premium 2012

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GCfreak

GCfreak

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

I hear the use of combofix often on different forums. Since I upgraded my Trend micros system to Premium, when downloading it automatically uninstalled many other programmes that I used as a backup with spyware and malware, such as malware bytes, and SAS. It takes a long time on START UP, and when using IE8 it's also slow, and the Hotmail server drives me up the wall.

I was going to use Regzooka to check things out, and then I was going to use the "tune up" feature on Trend, and then I discovered many comments on combofix.

I am wondering if there is still some hidden garbage from those other programmes that were uninstalled when I upgraded the Trend system.

Would it be advisable to give combofix a go, just in case there may be a creepy-crawly still sliding around with the bowels of my computer???

Thanks and regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

Near the top of the main forum page is this announcement: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-56/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/ .

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
IMO, you have provided very little detail about the system and the problems you currently have with it. Perhaps if such was presented, the forum membership could provide detail answers...as opposed to general guidance re certain ideas you seem to entertain.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 January 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#3 GCfreak

GCfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Louis, I will go and digest all the links and information of those links. I have always been wary of cleaners, after using Ccleaner once on the registry, and am very aware of the information, but the Regzooka seem to have such great review my "itchy ears" just could pass it by, for the possibility of solving my problems.

My computer is an Acert Aspire, four years old, and must have a lot of grunge and kunk sticking to the sides.

Thanks for your advice.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Clean install...is probably the best alternative for those truly interested in optimizing a system that has acquired unwanted programs, etc, IMO. OTOH...if the system is not giving a user problems...I don't urge users to think that there is some method of "updating" or "improving" it to compete with systems which have come forth since the debut of said system.

A clean install is as close as a user can come to a "quick fix" of the O/S...but it won't cure hardware situations.

One advantage of a clean install...you can readily tell when you've installed something that makes your system sick...if you install one application at a time.

Louis

#5 GCfreak

GCfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Mmmmm, that sounds the only best way, which I assume is a complete wipe out of all records and start again with a clean drive.

I do have the original ACER T300 recovery CD, but have other programmes that came with my computer at the time of purchase appears not to be recoveralbe and would be removed. A "back up" of all files is suggested, so would the "back up" save all those other bonus programmes that came with the computer be saved?

It said that the 25 digit product number is required, but it's not stamped on the recovery CD, any idea how I can find that product number. On the recovery CD there is has P/N listed but it's not a 25-digit number, but a compbinations of letters and figures that doesn't add up to 25.

The serial number on the side of the computer has caused too many problems with Acer, because it doesn't marry up with the system they are using. The computer was purchased from Harvey Norman, a reputable firm. Would the 25-digit be recorded on the recovery CD?

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

use this program in you current windows install and it will list you windows activation key ,write it down for future use .
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users