Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Track Unauthorized Users

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluefire

bluefire

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

Some suspicious activity such as password removal from the logon screen(we're using WinXP Prof SP2), new accounts being made, and a passord stealing trojan have been reported.
The idea is if possible to "catch em' in the act" or at least make a log of what happened.

Any ideas or programs I can use?

Edited by bluefire, 13 February 2006 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

Hi there,

Winpatrol

is a system monitor that lets you know of any changes to the registry, it also shows running processes, services, startup programs and more. If your ever unsure of anything that it propts to you, search it on google and identify it.

hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 bluefire

bluefire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:27 PM

Thanks nosnhoj#3!

I'll try that program.

Would you also have any tips or suggestions on how to KEEP
unwanted users from accessing my CPU?

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:09 AM

Hello again,

I would recommend using a firewall if you don't use one already. ZoneAlarm is a good free one, but it is only free for non-comercial use I believe. A firewall allows you to regulate incoming and outgoing Internet activity.

If you use your PC for a business, and coworkers, employees, or partners also have access to it, then the firewall settings are going to be a bit more indepth, I am not that familiar with those requirements, but Im sure if you need some advice for that, someone here at BC can help.

Other than a firewall, you should have a base Anti-Virus program, and some Spyware/Adware/Malware protection. If you send a lot of messages that are important, a good encryption program wouldn't hurt either. Here are a few recommendations to get you started.

NOTE: all are free for non-commercial use.

AVG Anti-Virus

Spybot Search & Destroy

Adaware SE Personel

Spyware Blaster

Spyware Gaurd

aSquared

Windows Defender (Beta2)

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users