Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

several problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chefcolby

chefcolby

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

so for some reason all at once my computer started popping up with several errors when running some programs, when i run microsoft office starter 2010 it will first pop up with, word was unable to create the work file, check temp environment variable, but when i click the ok button it pops up fine, it wont open one of my documents or but others open fine, it won't open downloads from the internet. second my bittorent started to act up. it said something like can't create folder in app/data roaming. or something like this i deleted it because i don't use it anymore. third problem is that when i open avg the interface pops up but my curser when its highlighted over it constantly goes from normal to loading in quick secession it also flashes and also sometimes won't respond. it ran a whole scan but when i went back to my computer avg wasn't up like i left it, when i went in to the history it said this scan log is corrupted, scan has not finished correctly. so is it a virus, or is it a computer program, it worked then when i came back to it it didn't i really don't know what happened. im not very tech savvy so please remember that if you try to help me, i will do my best

+ when i repaired avg because i thought that was the problem, when its finished repairing the identity protection isn't enabled yet, when its like this the avg isn't acing up.

Edited by chefcolby, 31 January 2012 - 01:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Do you have any System Restore points from before this started happening?

• Click the start orb and type system restore. When it shows up in the search results, click it.
  • Click Next.
  • Check the Show more restore points box.
  • Select the restore point with the closest date preceding the day the errors started. Click Next.
  • Continue following the prompts. When it finishes, retest and relate your findings in your next reply.

Edited by LucheLibre, 31 January 2012 - 05:49 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 chefcolby

chefcolby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Do you have any System Restore points from before this started happening?

• Click the start orb and type system restore. When it shows up in the search results, click it.
  • Click Next.
  • Check the Show more restore points box.
  • Select the restore point with the closest date preceding the day the errors started. Click Next.
  • Continue following the prompts. When it finishes, retest and relate your findings in your next reply.

no oddly enough only a couple of system restores where there, which i had a lot before this problem started happening, there was only three and i did this on all three of them and still same problems. ive actually given up really, i found that it was specific to my account but not to other accounts on the computer so ive just pulled all my data from my account and deleted it and started a new one with my old data, im not quite sure why or how the problem started but if its just with the deleted account. i ran a system registry cleaner, and defragmenter, i ran a disk cleaner, defragmenter and checker and all these came back fine, so i really don't have a clue.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Given that program were complaining about temp and appdata locations, it may be a straightforward case of profile corruption. At any rate, good job on the troubleshooting and thanks for posting your resolution.

As a side note, do not use registry cleaners. Their benefit is highly debatable and their potential harm is great.

Edited by LucheLibre, 31 January 2012 - 10:02 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Please download TFC by Old Timer http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/TFC-Temp-File-Cleaner-OldTimer-file187.html and save it to your desktop.

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

See if your problems stop after running this small file.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 chefcolby

chefcolby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

Please download TFC by Old Timer http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/TFC-Temp-File-Cleaner-OldTimer-file187.html and save it to your desktop.

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

See if your problems stop after running this small file.

wish i would have waited now, i actually found out it was user specific and deleted that account after pulling all the files into a newly created account, the problem is solved now that its deleted but i will def download that app and have it just in case for in the future, thanks for the help

#7 chefcolby

chefcolby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

Given that program were complaining about temp and appdata locations, it may be a straightforward case of profile corruption. At any rate, good job on the troubleshooting and thanks for posting your resolution.

As a side note, do not use registry cleaners. Their benefit is highly debatable and their potential harm is great.

i understand where you are when it comes to the reg cleaner, but personally i have worked on my aunts and grandmas computers that at one point became real slow, first, i worked on my aunts, who has a the exact same computer that i have the dell inspiron 1545, and hers had become extremly slow and because i had mine realized that there was a problem, i ran a hd cleaner, defragmentor and a disk check. i also ran a reg cleaner and defragmentor, and after this the computer ran like new, or like mine. im not sure what fixed the speed but i ran them together so im guessing a joint solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users