Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan is getting loud and going at alarming speeds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Axmann

Axmann

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

Lately, my computer's CPU fan (I'm assuming CPU fan, as I'm fairly certain it's not my GPU fan) has been getting very loud when I play games or do anything that would put stress on it. I've had this computer for about 2 years.

I used a utility to see what my CPU fan was going at when it was quiet and when it was loud. The results were pretty alarming.

Quiet CPU Fan:
http://i.imgur.com/QFKGP.png

Loud CPU Fan:
http://i.imgur.com/7SPrW.png

Now, I don't know much about hardware, but this problem is annoying and also frightening.

What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:18 AM

What Processor have you got ? Have a look at the heatsink has it got a thick layer of dust on the top ?

I carefully use tweesers to collect all the dust (it should clump together) and pull it out. DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner, i have seen to many dead/tempramental computers that have been vacuumed.

#3 Axmann

Axmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

What Processor have you got ? Have a look at the heatsink has it got a thick layer of dust on the top ?

I carefully use tweesers to collect all the dust (it should clump together) and pull it out. DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner, i have seen to many dead/tempramental computers that have been vacuumed.

I have an AMD Phenom II x4. I took the case off, and the top of the heat sink was caked with dust, but the sides looked fine. I took the lint off of the top of the heat sink, and it seems to have dramatically improved temperature down there (55-56 degress celsius, but it's better than the 67 degrees i had before). I'm still not sure if that will completely remedy the problem though. I'll watch it and keep you guys posted. Thanks so far though :)

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

another consideration..if the CPU heatsink was jammed with coagulated dust then the CPU fan bushing/bearing/blades are sure to also be impacted. check to see if your fan has a 3 pin or 4 pin connector and the millimeter diameter. check into getting a replacement and/or cleaning techniques recommended for your existing cpu fan. 40-50 celsius is normal CPU operating temps the last time i checked.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Your fan is temperature controlled. Thus the lack of cooling from the dust buildup caused the fan to race.

I use the cans of air to blow out the dust.

Look carefully at the top of the fins they should be completely clean if not using the canned air and a small brush, like a artists brush, Carefully reach in and while blowing the air in brush the top of the fins to dislodge and dust. Oftentimes the dust will build up where the plastic part of the fan blocks your view.

If it still runs warm consider getting some Arctic Silver thermal compound and and pulling the heatsink to redo the compound. Excessive heat can damage it.

I use 90+ Isoproplyl Alcohol to clean all traces of the old thermal compund. be sure not to spill it into the computer as it still has some water in it.

Look up how to aplly the thermal compund before doing it if you are unsure. Too much is as bad as too little.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users