Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing icons, shortcuts, program links

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jillc

jillc

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

I got infected with System Check virus. I found some instructions on My Anti Spyware which I followed.
I renamed the file which was running on startup.
I rebooted, then opened a cmd box and ran attrib -h /s /d however I didn't wait until it had returned to the C prompt.
I then downloaded and installed Malware Bytes. I ran the Quick Scan. It found my renamed file and a few other nasties. I clicked on Remove.
I then ran the TDSSKiller but it was not present.
I then found that my computer was partly recovered. The missing control panel, search, etc from the start menu had reappeared but all my customised task menu was gone. My bottom taskbar links were empty. At least a 1/3 of my desktop icons had vanished. When I went to Start, programs, there are at least 25 folders or program links missing (I should have 4 full columns of data) and any programs which are installed on my C: drive are listed as (empty) when I go the program group. So these are all my most used programs like Office, Adobe CS4, etc. The programs which are installed on D: still show up fine.
So after a reboot, I ran Malware Bytes again, this time a full scan on all drives. After more than 9 hours it found several nasties on C: and E: so I removed them (nothing on D:). I then ran the attrib -h /s /d command again on C: but my missing bits did not return.

I tried to get some help from the My Anti Spyware site but I can't manage to get permission to post a question.

So, where do I go from here? How do I get my start menu, taskbars and program lists back to normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jillc

jillc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

I spoke too soon.
I kept searching and eventually found the self-help instructions for removing System Check. All looked pretty much the same as the previous instructions except that a little script called unhide was available. I tried it and it didn't seem to run. I then started reading up about unhide and found the instructions for manually restoring the taskbar, desktop and quick launch. The manual restore worked for those items, so now all that is left is the re-ordering of quick launch items and adding back the settings for my customised start menu.
Once again, Bleeping Computer saved my bacon. :thumbsup:

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:03 AM

:clapping:

#4 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:12 AM

Hello:

Try the information at this link: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/46010-how-to-restore-start-menu-and-files-hiddendeleted-by-a-virus/#hyperanchor1.3%3A%2F%2Fa

Edited by Jelerak, 31 January 2012 - 01:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users