Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WoodChuckVA

WoodChuckVA

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have a serious problem on my laptop. I was trying to eliminate malware called the "System Check Virus" from windows 7

The symptoms are my desktop icons are mostly gone. My Desktop walpaper is now black rather than the default.

Now, after running ComboFix, everything I try to run says Illegal Operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion!!

I read on another post from someone with exactly the same problem that they just rebooted and everything returned to normal.

The Combofix blue screen has been on my desktop for more than a day with the following message:

Almost done..This window will close in a short while
Please wait a few seconds for the report log to pop up

ComboFix's log shall be located a C:\COMBOFIX.TXT

Should I just reboot or should I wait for further advice/help???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

Hello WoodChuck,

ComboFix should not to be discussed outside the Malware Removal Logs forums and then only when requested by a Malware Removal Team member. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Thank you for using BleepingComputer as your malware removal source.

The BC Staff

Since you have already run Combofix I have put out a call for someone trained in its use to answer your question.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 January 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:56 AM

Hello WoodchuckVA, a reboot will indeed fix this problem.

Afterwards, if you need help removing malware, best is to follow the steps in this guide and post a topic, including the requested logs as well as the combofix log in the malware removal forum as indicated also in the Preparation Guide I linked you to.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users