Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Windows Explorer, My Graphics Card, My Hard Drive, or What?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ThetasGirlFriday

ThetasGirlFriday

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

Okay. In Overview:

My Windows Explorer is borked, and perhaps other things are borked as well.

NOT Internet Explorer.
WINDOWS EXPLORER, the file manager/search tool on the desktop next to the START Menu.

I have a bottom of the screen bar, like most people. And, like most people, I put stuff on it for one-click fun.

Windows Explorer is on that bar down there, see?

When I’ve been using Windows Explorer for a long time, like, for more than an hour, it:

Suddenly fails to open windows, tabs, menus, etc- the menu blacks, and so does anything else I try to open, temporarily.

Icons light up as if highlighted when you mouse over them.

Fonts change size, as if you’ve loaded an old game from DOSBOX and it has borked itself, you know, when the desktop icons suddenly grow large and the window borks and grows and fills up half the screen like in XP and VISTA haha and you can’t get to the Cheshire tabs of EVIL to shut it off?

Moving along… it overlaps menu items, and when I try to click out by closing the program from one such overlap, it might close. Maybe.

Then when I test it by trying to open it again, it opens a frame instead of a full, healthy window, and then closes it right back down again. YAY!

Whatever is borking it migrates to the desktop and duplicates icons if I mouse over them

Windows and menus stay open and turn black, and pile up on each other slightly.

1. To give an example of how it COuld be a graphics card problem- I play Second Life, and after a year or so of not being on there, I have gotten back on. It keeps degrading in performance, and has recently turned black/or white screen and crashed when I have used it for more than 30 minutes to an hour. Sometimes Less. Also, the window, once I shrink it, sticks, and the screen around it turns black, and keeps a frame of the window stuck to it. it then Crashes. I have trouble saving things to my inventory

2. that sounds similar to what is happening wiht Windows Explorer, does it not? O.o therefore, despite this, it may NOt be an issue with the card, mainy because of the folowing statement.(3)

3. So, graphics card/hard drive, yes? BUT... this was happening with Win Explorer only a few days after I GOT this computer... NOBODY knows why. They just say, do this or that odd vague workaround, without REALLY answering the problem or making it go away. O.o

4. for some reason, this problem (Win Explorer, Slow Computer, WORD doing the same thing with hiding files and sticky windows that Win Explorer does) hath followed me from every computer I've ever had, minus my beloved Commodore 64. (R.I.P., MY BEAUTY) I canm;t figure out if it was something I did, or the files I migrated from that first computer to every computer since, or what. WE run virus scans before we migrate files... but.. these computer killing problems keep happening. maybe my body just gives off extra bio-electricity or something. Every computer I look at funny borks. Even the ones at school, when i was in middle and high school! I didn'tevne DO anything but turn them on and sit in front of them, and before I sat down to even USE THE MOUSE they borked. I am NOT. KIDDING. They tried to blame me, but I KNOW NOTHING. I DID NOTHING. urk. Machines hate me.

Here are 3 links, each to a page, of my posts with lovely helpful myrti over in the Malware section. Any info you might need she might already have asked me for, but if you need something else and i caN get it for you, just ask me! I wanna fix this FOR GOOD. ;)

page 1- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic436904.html

page 2- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic436904.html/page__st__15

page 3- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic436904.html/page__st__30

Edited by ThetasGirlFriday, 30 January 2012 - 05:47 PM.

Doctor Who-related Quotes of some note:

‘Is this from the deleted scene? Just before this the cyberman spilled the Scottish time-lord's pint? The Glasgofreyan malkie'd the tin man and banjoed him right in the wingnuts.’

by ~truemouse (from DeviantArt) tru you rocked this.

“Because I don’t, won’t accept. I don’t approve. Injustice is the rule, but I want justice. Suffering is the rule, but I want to end it. Despair accords with reality, but I insist on hope. I don’t accept it because it is unacceptable. I say no.”

- the Eighth Doctor in conversation with Sabbath during the events of the EDA book, Camera Obscura.

And, from a fanfic I have yet to write:

DOCTOR: All this preponderance of the evidence, and it turns out we’re just summer sausage for Galactus…

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:04 AM

Have a read.......be SURE you have a BACK UP !!

http://ask-leo.com/what_do_i_do_when_windows_explorer_crashes.html?awt_l=Fb_mF&awt_m=Jk6TXpicKZdfbL

and below are two responses to the above article.....

Most of the Explorer crashing errors that i have encountered have been related to folders containing videos in them and it's because of the windows inability to load videos thumbnails and it's usually a codec error or an incomplete file , A quick fix would be viewing the "properties" of the folder and selecting to view it as a document to avoid thumbnails loading .

Leo you are The Man! I have been through the mill these last six months trying to diagnose the infamous Windows Explorer Crash-syndrome. I've tried literally eight so-called fixes found around the net world, all to no avail. Some 'solutions' were quite extensive, system-invasive and down-right dangerous for less savvy folks to attempt. I must admit (sorry!) that I had little hope for your diagnostic approach. Alas, out of sheer desperation before doing the dreaded 'clean re-install' of the OS, I sat down with a big mug o' strong joe and had at it using ShellExView, following your lead.
Long story even longer; I opened ShellExView, clicked in the header column to show only NON-Microsoft files running (I had nine), mentally eliminated 7 that I new to be extremely stable and have been using for years. The remaining two were related and appeared to be 'sketchy' at best! They directed to a 'cloud-based major mfg's web-site, but showed zero size in 'file size' ?! Right-clicked each, chose the disable option, restarted and ... holymoly! Windows Explorer working like it's old, feature-challenged self, ha!
Mega-thanks Leo. I'm a long-time subscriber and plan to hit the 'tip jar' button and buy you a couple of lattes (though me thinks beer is more appropriate, eh?)
Again...be SURE you have a reliable backup before you go changing all and sundry !!
Good Luck,
Brian
Australia

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 ThetasGirlFriday

ThetasGirlFriday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

Awesome, bro! Will look into that. Now, abotu the CLICKING NOISE OF DEATH... it's popped up again. SL is a GREAT way to stress my system and check for errors. i have decided this.

haha.

about 3:00 am or so, I did ShellEx whatever..thingy. The only thing I didn't watn there as far as -I- could tell, was this Game Creators Toolbar that it downloaded when I did this thingie so i coulddo that thingy, blah blah. I never use most of those dumb toolbars. It never really caused me a problem though.

3:50 am - oo it just made the lcicking soudn again. all I'm doing is some flash escape/point and clicks (SUBMACHINE koff koff) online, too.

Aww, it's contracted XBox 360 disease heheheh. I don't own one, btw.

Hard drive! -koff- hard drive. hhaaha

also, as far as I remember, these problems began BEFORe I ever HAD any picture files of mine on my computer, again, some four years ago when we first got it. I started to reorganize my documents, and POOF. ;(

AND pps... a little bit of randomness for your pleasure. - is it -WroNgGg- that i ENJOy the clicking sound? hee hee

Edited by ThetasGirlFriday, 01 February 2012 - 05:50 AM.

Doctor Who-related Quotes of some note:

‘Is this from the deleted scene? Just before this the cyberman spilled the Scottish time-lord's pint? The Glasgofreyan malkie'd the tin man and banjoed him right in the wingnuts.’

by ~truemouse (from DeviantArt) tru you rocked this.

“Because I don’t, won’t accept. I don’t approve. Injustice is the rule, but I want justice. Suffering is the rule, but I want to end it. Despair accords with reality, but I insist on hope. I don’t accept it because it is unacceptable. I say no.”

- the Eighth Doctor in conversation with Sabbath during the events of the EDA book, Camera Obscura.

And, from a fanfic I have yet to write:

DOCTOR: All this preponderance of the evidence, and it turns out we’re just summer sausage for Galactus…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users