Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network and Sharing center extremely slow when initializing new connection (Tethering/dongle)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mithos

Mithos

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hi,
Windows 7 N&S center is really slow. I have no idea what's causing it.
Symptoms not present when I connect to my wireless router.

But when I tether (get a connection from a USB device) the N&S Center stops responding for about 10 minutes.

At some point, it will come up with the "Public Network?" box.

How can I debug this?

Even after the network is initialized, the N&S center is still very slow.

I assume it's doing some automatic something or other that keeps pinging this, that or the other.
The USB device would serve an internet connection that has a reasonably high latency.

Lots of network tools seem to slow down, especially while the connection is configuring itself. This is probably because all of the services involved are interlinked somewhere, and are waiting on the same mutex to be released or something...

On Ubuntu, however (same hardware) the internet connection is ready to go in seconds.

Thanks
x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Has this happened since you started trying to tether? If not, can you think of anything that changed between the time it worked and when it didn't?

It sounds like a driver that either is poorly written or had a bad install.

What is the Manufacturer and model number of both the PC and the tether device?

Edited by LucheLibre, 30 January 2012 - 07:54 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Mithos

Mithos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

The laptop is an HP Envy 17 3002ea. Only had it for about a week. It should be a fairly high-end consumer laptop.

The device is an HTC Hero phone (which is pretty old, but seems to be functioning fine).

I haven't tested extensively, but the N&S Center has acted up every time I've connected the device.

The internet connection seems to be functioning within reasonable parameters - however, the network icon is bogus and the N&S Center won't work.

After a reboot, Windows did think my driver was outdated - however, I'm fairly certain I have the newest drivers for tethering; furthermore, Windows suggested a driver for a different HTC phone, which seems a bit fishy.
I'll see if there are any tools on the HTC website, but I don't expect to find anything.

The N&S Center seems impenetrable. The advanced settings and information seem to be abstracted too far away...

[edit] Thanks

Edited by Mithos, 31 January 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

If Windows itself is suggesting a different driver, then I'd try that first. The .inf's are what matter, not the driver label. You can always roll it back if it doesn't change anything.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users