Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows\system32\config\system Corrupt ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 heynow

heynow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:55 AM

turned on my computer and got this message ... "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt : windows\system32\config\system

i tried starting insafe mode ..same thing happens ... i tried the xp reinstall cd ... after the licence agreement screen, it says "searching for a previous version of windows" .... but nothing happens ..it gets stuck there all day...... tried the recovery console .. nothing happens :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:18 PM

Hi. Before reinstalling, you could try the basic repair commands from recovery console. Reboot with the Windows installation CD, and when prompted, press "R" to enter the recovery console. From there, type FIXBOOT, it'll ask for confirmation, accept; then FIXMBR, accept also; and when finished; CHKDSK /R. Depending on chkdsk results, try reinstalling again.

#3 heynow

heynow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

thanks ...i tried that but .... after pressing "r" .. it goes the recovery console screen and says ..........

1: c:\windows
which windows installation would you like to log onto

it only les me type one charater .. so i press "1" ..hit enter ...then nothing happens ???

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

It should have logged you into Windows folder. It appears to me that the problem might be related to the hard disk. If you have another computer with XP installed (a friend could help), try to connect your hard disk as slave and check it there to see if it can be repaired. Although, the signals does not look good to me.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

I have a hunch that this might be a registry corruption issue. Here's a link to a fix: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 heynow

heynow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:45 PM

id like to try that ..but i cant past the second step ....computer just locks up

#7 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:43 AM

You could look here, particularly no. 4. This uses the \window\repair\system32\ option from the RC. It usually works, unless you've inherited bad sectors on the HD, but you have to follow the instructions exactly. {This presumes that other RC commands, like 'bootcfg' have not helped}.

Forgot to include the Url: http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul...mode=a&x=8&y=11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users