Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe, google redirect, CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slowdive69

slowdive69

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

So, I've been tussling with what appears to be the same set of virus attacks for about 2 weeks now, and I think it's time to admit that I need help. My computer initially started with "google redirecting" and a FakeHDD virus as well, which I more or less removed (or at least got rid of the most overt symptoms of). After that, the computer started running deathly slow, and task manager would show one enormous instantiation of the svchost.exe process (which would slowly balloon, the longer the computer was on, taking up 99 percent of the CPU's power).

A scan with McAfee and a scan with Malwarebytes seem to have alleviated the problem of CPU usage (and McAfee's On Access Scan appears to have been exacerbating the memory leak somehow, so I disabled it). So now, the computer is running more or less smoothly, except that: 1) the google redirecting thing is still happening 2) Malwarebytes keeps blocking svchost.exe from doing something "potentially malicious", and, when I do a scan, it finds the svchost.exe virus and quarantines it. But it appears to be unable to delete the damn thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slowdive69

slowdive69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

oops, I'm going to repost this in the "malware" section. Sorry for the mixup.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hello,

I have deleted your new topic and am moving this topic to the AII forum where we can begin assisting you. If it is determined that you need specialized assistance, you will receive specific instructions for posting in the log forum at that time.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 jhenedo

jhenedo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

I'm new to the website so please forgive me if this is not the right place. I have also been having an issue with a trojan detected in windows/scvhost.exe file. I used malwarebytes and microsoft security essentials to try and fix the problem but after a scan and on trying to restart my pc, the virus is still their. Microsoft system security is instructing me to re-install my windows so i did that but the issue still persists. PLease Please help :(

Edited by jhenedo, 30 January 2012 - 11:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users