Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Keeps Freezing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Pepsi

Dr.Pepsi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:07 AM

I recently just formatted and did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional after being infected. My computer keeps freezing after boot up now. It will act completely normal until you try to launch something (firefox, my computer, start button, etc.). I'm not really sure what is causing this but it is extremely frustrating, after it locks up and I have to hard reset a few times it runs perfect. Right now my computer isn't freezing but I've had it on now for about 5 days and it didn't freeze once, if I were to restart right now though it would freeze numerous times before becoming stable. Has anyone ran into something like this before? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

After installing W7 did you download and install all of the correct drivers, starting with the chipset driver? Open device manager - any yellow or red symbols?

#3 Dr.Pepsi

Dr.Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

Yes, I have downloaded and updated all the drivers (no exclamation points). Also all the windows updates are completed and current.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Use Speccy to provide details of your computer's configuration.

• Download, install, and run.
  • After Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • A web address will be displayed. Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post. Include your computer's manufacturer and model number, as well.
=========================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 Dr.Pepsi

Dr.Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bWNPabHK0yKzXAXmebIcA40

I built this computer personally a few years back, so no manufacturer or model number.

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

First thing that pops out is this:

Voltage
CPU CORE: 1.040 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.904 V
+3.3V: 1.120 V
+5V: 5.080 V
-12V: -12.096 V
-5V: -13.440 V

Sometimes Speccy gets this wrong. To verify this reading, enter the BIOS and select the Power > Hardware Monitor item. It will report these voltages. Relate what they say in your next reply.

If you are doing any overclocking, please reset the hardware to default speeds and retest.

Two other things come to mind:

1) Anti-virus programs are a common culprit for random freezes. Uninstall Webroot and retest.

2) Check System File Integrity

• Click Start Orb and type cmd. In search results, right-click cmd and select Run as Administrator.
  • At the prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. There is a space between "sfc" and "/scannow". This process make take a while.
    • If SFC find errors it cannot correct, it may ask you to insert your Windows CD.
  • When SFC finishes, it will show you a summary of it's scan. Copy that to your next reply.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Run Windows Update immediately if you had to use your Windows CD during this operation.

===========================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 30 January 2012 - 10:22 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 Dr.Pepsi

Dr.Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

I don't have time to risk a reboot tonight and not be able to get back into Windows since I'm going on 4 days without a restart/shutdown. Last time it took a few hours to get up and running. I did run SFC and got:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I will go into the BIOS and check the voltage tomorrow.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Have you tried running in safemode in networking if the freezing is persistent? I would try cleaning the GPU card and RAM module, or use one alternately and run a diagnostic test for the hard drive.

Tekken

#9 Dr.Pepsi

Dr.Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

After restarting I was able to launch Firefox, open the website, log on, and typed pretty much my entire reply before it froze again on me. So I'm posting this from my phone.

VCORE Voltage 1.216V
3.3V Voltage 3.360V
5V Voltage 5.080V
12V Voltage 12.096v

For the record, nothing is over clocked, I've gone into safe mode once successfully with no freezing, but only tried it that one time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users