Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc fuzzes out and shuts down please help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yis

yis

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

Just recently my laptop is driving me bananas.when turned on it will either boot up,run windows and a minute later the screen will turn different colors or white fuzz and emits a screechy sound like its dying and then shutdown, or it wont even start. When it doesn't start the laptop light goes on for a second but the screen doesn't light up. I have been trying to figure out what the problem is for a few days but i am stumped. It's not a power issue because the power always works. I have tested the heat many times during those few lucky minutes my computer was on and it seemed ok (also it does this even before it has a chance to get hot). Is there any other way to diagnose this without buying new hardware?

I have a Sony Vaio i3 2.40 Ghz. 4 GB DDR3 500 GB hdd Realtek video card

Please Help Me

Edited by hamluis, 30 January 2012 - 08:23 AM.
Moved from Windows 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Sounds like a motherboard problem based on your post.

Tekken

#3 yis

yis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

is there any way to find out for certain without purchasing a new mobo? Thank you

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi

Could be the AC adapter.

Does it happen when it is plugged into the AC adapter?

Does it happen when just being run from the battery?

If it does it for both situations, I'm afraid its probably an onboard power problem which with a Vaio leaves you few cost efficient options.

James

#5 yis

yis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

yeah it happens in both situations.
what could have caused this?
Is my only option to buy a new mobo?

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Sorry to hear the results.

This is just conjecture but it is probably a bad capacitor(s). That could cause voltages to start to fluctuate causing the symptoms that you described.

Bad electrolytic capacitors fail as fluid in them goes bad or starts to slowly leak. They build up heat which at first happens slowly and then gets faster each time it fails (each time it loses a little more fluid or the fluid breaks down more) until it totally fails for good.

If you want to look for bad capacitors, search images on Google or Bing and see if anyone has posted pics of bad caps on the same motherboard as you have.

I have successfully replaced caps on desktops but never on a laptop :(

Let us know if you have any success repairing this, especially if it turns out to be a capacitor issue.

James

#7 yis

yis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

Thank you guys for your responses,I will look into that James. Funny thing is it somteimes works for an hour or so. Does that make sense if its something which burnt out?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

Funny thing is it somteimes works for an hour or so

It would tend to be between previous thermal events that cause certain onboard components becoming faulty/unstable. Did you checked physically for any unusual bulging capacitor? I would also try testing the voltage output of your AC Adapter. Make sure all documents are secured on your external devices.

Tekken

#9 yis

yis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

I just went out to purchase a external HDD. As soon as everything is secured i am going to investigate further
Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users