Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No keyboard/no mouse after combofix ran in Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 schwoch1

schwoch1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

I received this computer as a last ditch effort from one of my relatives. It is a Compaq desktop model running Vista Home Premium x32. One of my well intentioned relatives, who is a self proclaimed computer know it all, decided to run combofix on it. Now, the PS2 powered keyboard and mouse are not working anymore. My relative advised my 80 year old grandfather to do a reinstall of Vista, then left town for several weeks, so hence the reason I got the computer in my lap and a big help me from my grandparents!!! I am about 99% positive that the problem can be repaired without a reinstall of Vista, but I am not 100% sure which way to go. That is why I am here again for help, you all haven't let me down yet.
Right now, the computer boots and seems to work ok, but again, no keyboard, no mouse. I do not have access to wired USB keyboard or mouse, but do have access to a wireless keyboard/mouse combo if ya all think that wil help in getting this thing straightened out!!!
Looking forwards to some help, again, any/all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Mike

Edited by hamluis, 30 January 2012 - 07:59 AM.
Moved from Am I Infected to Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

Go into Device Manager...uninstall drivers for the keyboard...reboot.

Do the same for the mouse, after system has rebooted.

System model?

Based on what you have described thus far...I don't see the cnnection between the system problems...the keyboard/mouse isssues...and running ComboFix. I feel that important pieces of this presented puzzle are mssing...I'd like to see details on what led up to someone deciding to run an application specifically for malware removal.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 January 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#3 schwoch1

schwoch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

The computer had contracted a nasty virus/malware/some bad bug. I belive he said it was system clean or something of that nature. Brother in law ran combofix to rid the computer of the issue that it had, which it did, but then the keyboard and mouse stopped working then, and so did my know it all brother in law!!!
So I end up with PC with no mouse or keyboard working, that is the rest of the story, so that is the reason that combofix was ran. Does this help?
I will try the driver uninstallation tonight and see what happens.

TIA
Mike

#4 schwoch1

schwoch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

Tried uninstalling the mouse driver and keyboard driver, seperately, and with a reboot in between and I still have the same issue, no PS2 keyboard or PS2 mouse. I am 100% sure that they both worked beforehand, as my brother in law would not of been able to download combofix and run it with neither a mouse or keyboard. The PC in question is a COmpaq Presario SR5710Y. I was able to use the PC with a USB wireless keyboard and mouse with no issues.
What would be the next step?
Thanks thus far

Mike

Edited by schwoch1, 30 January 2012 - 11:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users