Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Primary HDD seen as BD-ROM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 seminolemartin

seminolemartin

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

I am running a Dell XPS 400 with XP media Edition. First system battery died, it was replaced. The computer then said that WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT = windows\system32\config\system. You can solve this problem by trying to repair windows. i put in the repair disk and the computer then said that there was not hdd attached to the system. Hdd was then install into another system running win 7 and is reading as BD-ROM. Properties show that it is a CD-Rom. Is there a way to fix this problem with out losing any of the information on the hdd so that it can be seen as the primary hdd again. FYI the hdd does read in the the bios on both machines as a harddrive as it should.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

Download a version of linux you can run from a disc and burn it to cd. I use Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Stick the cd in the computer and boot it from cd. Select the option to try rather than install.

When it's booted up, click Places at the top and then click on Computer in the list. Your hard drive should show up.

You should then be able to copy all your files off.

#3 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:37 AM

Once you have retrieved all your important data run a test on it with the manufacturer's diagnostics. This will confirm if the drive is still healthy.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.

When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.

Excelstore Use EStest CD image
Hitachi/IBM Use the Drive Fitness Test - CD Image.
Seagate, Samsung, Maxtor & Quantum Follow links for SeaTools
Western Digital

Toshiba/Fujitsu
If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

#4 seminolemartin

seminolemartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

The hdd is not being picked up in any program other than win 7 labeling it a BD-Rom drive. Windows does not see it as a disk drive only a CD-ROm drive and says to insert a disc. it also says there is nothing on the drive. Everything worked fine until the system battery died.

#5 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Click on Start > Right click on Computer > Select Manage > When the window opens select Disk Management in the left hand pane, open the window full screen so it shows all the drives details (that's hoping it will) then take a screenshot and attach it to your next post.

How to take a screenshot in Windows 7

Click on the Full Editor button and then the Click to Attach Files button.

#6 seminolemartin

seminolemartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

I have attached both the disk management and device manager screen shots. In the device manager the drive is showing as the VIT SCSI cd rom device and in the disk manager as the cd rom 4 (g)

Attached Files

#7 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

I think this may be a problem caused by the Windows 7 PC not having SATA controllers enabled in the Bios. The drive from the Dell is a SATA?

#8 seminolemartin

seminolemartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Sata controllers are enabled because my other drive is a sata hdd and I have checked, but thanks anyway. Apparently this drive is useless. I tried to load a fresh copy of windows and HDD can not be found. But the new hdd i just put in seems to be working fine. If you have any ideas how to reformat this old drive let me know. Thanks

Edited by seminolemartin, 30 January 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#9 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

I would say from what you have just told me that the old drive is dead. Why it should have happened when the battery went flat is a mystery and could just be one of those odd coincidences.

If the instructions given in post 2 or post 3 don't give you access to the drive I doubt there is much you can do. An unfortunate way to learn the importance of keeping back ups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users