Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One of those IRQL BSOD issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Simman

Simman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

Alright. So I've been having issues with my PC (again). Its an Older HP Pavilion.
HP Pavilion m8100n

Its been changed up a bit over time. Hard drive has died so I have a 1tb now. Inserted a GTS250 for gaming, and added a stick of ram (4gb total now).

Now onto my issue.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0xd1

The first BSOD, I managed to snap a picture. It showed something about nvlddmkm.sys. Read up a bit and figured it was my video driver. Uninstalled that and tried install fresh
nVidia drivers. Their auto driver detector figured I has a 520 LE install, so I got myself the appropriate driver manually. It didn't install because it said it failed to
find compatible hardware. I let windows auto install it and everything went fine.

Pc worked fine for the whole day. Today, I got to use it a whole 6 or 7 minutes and it BSOD'd. This time however, it rebooted itself too quick for me to see anything. Then it
hung at the HP logo Which its liked to do when I get BSOD's in the past.

Possible Solutions I thought were the drivers which turned out to be no. Only other thing I can think of is RAM. Heres the thing. I've been through taking it all apart multiple times
in the past. In fact I've had a history of getting things like this happen, usually routed to my ram. I've taken everything apart and run MEMtest more then I care to saw. Never has
anything popped up, and I'm still using all the original memory that this PC came with. I'm nearly certain its not the ram.

If anymore info is required, I will gladly provide it. I have a phone and netbook I can hop on if this pc tanks again...guess I can consider myself lucky there.

Edited by Simman, 29 January 2012 - 10:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

What PSU are you running? did you upgrade that as well when you installed your video card-stock PSUs 9 times out of 10 don't have enough juice to power a third party video card, and can cause BSODs, freezing, or even blown PSUs and other components. Most NVIDIA 250s require a minimum (keyword there) of a 450 watt PSU, and that needs to be a quality 450 watt-most bottom of the line 450 watts won't run said card, I would recomend a good 5-600 watt.

P.S. your link doesn't work.

Edited by the_patriot11, 29 January 2012 - 08:51 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Ah! Sorry about the link..I have no idea what happened there...its fixed now.

As per the Power supply, sorry should have mentioned that before. Its a 750 watt Ultra. Was to be used for my next build, but it doesn't have enough amps to run 2 vid cards, so it'll be staying in this system indefinatly when it gets replaced.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

how many amps does it have? Also, are all the other drivers up to date, particularly the chipset drivers? You might also try an older version of the drivers for your card, Im assuming your using the latest.

Edited by the_patriot11, 29 January 2012 - 10:30 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

It has 42 Amps I believe..more then enough to power the system.

All drivers according to Device manager are upto date. I've tried updating the VidCards drivers, but they wont do it. Keeps saying its incompatible.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

I would try downloading the driver straight from the internet and downloading it. I would also remove the new stick of ram, and see if the problem persists. If it does and downloading the latest vid card driver (or using an old one) doesn't work, I would suspect the card to be at fault and look at getting an RMA.

picard5.jpg

#7 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

PC has been up for 8 hours now, stable as a rock. However I'm betting tomorrow, I won't beable to start it up. I'll post anything new at that point. Now for responses.

The new stick has been in for about a half year now..and a year before that in a friends computer (Yeah, I'm cheap like that :P)

Like I mentioned earlier, When I try to use the automated tool nVidia tells me I've got a 520LE plugged in, which I know isn't the case. When I get the gts250 drivers and try to install then, I get a compatibility error and it never installs successfully. Bit of an odd situation. the Card is from MSI if it makes any difference. It was a replacement for me 8800gs which burned out about 3 months ago (Was factory superclocked and I pushed it hard..surprised it even lasted as long as it did).

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Im guessing the card itself is likely defective if I were a betting man. I would not use the auto nvidia tool for the drivers though-I would download them straight from the source

picard5.jpg

#9 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:54 AM

Alright..Had a blue screen and saw an 0xA code this time. Didnt manage to see anything else...Even with auto reboot turned off, it still reboots quickly after making the dump file (which I can't find in the minidump directory for whatever reason..just one fro the 28th):( Anyway to make it wait? Then I could snap a picture for reference.

Everytime I get a BSOD and the system trys to reboot, it hangs on the HP logo..and it takes a hard restart once or twice to get back to the desktop. Its always this pattern. If I manage to reach the desktop, it'll occasionally hang after about 30min of operation. That or it'll be fine for the duration of being powered on. I may just leave the pc on for an extended amount of time to see if it hangs. A bit odd.

Thank you for your help so far..Hoping its not the card really...it was a replacement for my older card..would suck to have 2 cards die in such a short time :(

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

Do you have another card on hand to throw into it, or another PC to try that card in?

picard5.jpg

#11 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Alright..got another BSoD. 0xf7. Something about a driver overflow. I think your right about the vid card. I can head over to a friends tomorrow in the afternoon and test it. Thanks again for the help so far. I'm a bit peeved that I might have to get a another card again. I swear, manufacturers are getting sloppy. I clean my pc every 2 weeks and usually keep my HDD relatively clean. Hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong.

Think that strikes me as odd is that sometimes I can use the PC fine for hours on end, other times it'll crash just after 30min.

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Every manufacturer has a certain percentage of parts that come out bad-thats just how it is, anywhere from 1-5% come defective from the factory, some brands are higher. I tend to stay with the brands that Ive always used and trust for that reason-even with the occasional bad card. For ATI, I prefer Saphire, ASUS or gigabyte, for NVIDIA cards I typically order EVGA or PNY. They cost a bit more, but they seem to have a higher standard of quality from what I have seen.

picard5.jpg

#13 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

Yeah..I went the cheap route and got my self a discounted MSI card. The card before was a superclocked EVGA 8800gs...it was a Beauty. (Still have it lying around)

Took the card to a friends house. His pc eventually restarted, but after about 1 hour of uptime...However the system DID successfully reboot..which is better then what I can say about my PC after it BSODs (it just sits at the Manufacturers logo, Dreaded HP)

I installed drivers that he downloaded and they installed perfectly fine...not sure what the hell I did to get the error I was having. I manged to power on the PC and its been up for over 3 and a half hours now. Guess tomorrow will tell me if anything was fixed, or if it will be time to get a new card.

Thank you so much for all your help Mr. Patriot. Have a pleasant day :)

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

no problem, hope that fixes it-if not we can explore other options.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users