Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor gets weird snow/zigzag pattern with screensaver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Sorry if this has been posted before but I can't figure out how to find the issue.

I am trying to help out my mom. She has a HP Pavillion running Vista and for the past several weeks her computer has been acting crazy.

It seems that whenever the screen saver starts (bubbles/aurora..whatever) that her monitor screen suddenly gets this very bizaare pattern, like plaid. There are no icon and you you have to reboot. Otherwise the monitor seems to be working ok.

If I turn off the monitor and back on, same pattern but the settings box on the monitor is fine so I don't think it's the monitor.

I have run Malwarebytes, superantispyware, hijack this and combofix Symantec AV and it still does it, so I am not sure if it is malware.

The monitor and all seem to work well until the screen saver kicks in. This could happen immediately or maybe even a few hours after the bubbles kick in.

Sorry this is not much information, but not sure what else you guys would need.

Thanks

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

Simple fix - do not use a screen saver - I've certainly never used one. Instead, just set the hd and display to power down after a defined period of inactivity. It's easier on your system, always works, and saves resources.

#3 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

That is what I am doing. I just have the screen set to go blank and so far it seems to be working. Just wondering what would be going on and why it would be doing this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users