Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Specialty Parts Non U.s. --any Need?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xx_jack

xx_jack

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

i am told that there may be some shortages for specific used parts--(desktops/laptops- and associated gear)
in se asia/phillipines and so on....

i am in the middle of the u.s. and also am told these parts are readily available here.....!!!

since i am retired i was wondering if i could broker some parts for a parttime hobby/business and fill a need at the same time........

and of course this is a test.........

found this site by accident......(helped me to get rid of nasty stuff)and i am gratefull..and moderators feel free to answer my question....yes or no will work..........worth my time and trouble??---and of course i know nothing about customs etc, and other unforeseen obstacles......thank you all----xx_jack

//Mod edited email address to protect from spam bots.

Edited by KoanYorel, 13 February 2006 - 09:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:09 PM

Hi xx_jack.

Since most computer parts are manufactured in those areas I imagine the problem is a shortage of money rather than parts.

I personally know of a situation where a number of monitors (40-50) were destined to be donated to a Central American country and after they were gathered up it was found that shipping, duty and taxes would make it prohibitively expensive to send them to the intended destination. This benefactor was then forced to pay storage for a time until they were disposed of at a further cost.

I would suggest you contact the Trade Consulate/Embassy of the countries you intend to do business with to inquire about duty and taxes that would need to be paid in the destination countries. If you ship F.O.B. your warehouse this won't be a concern but could price you out of the market.

Bear in mind that these used parts would need to be tested. The country of origin would need to be identified (for instance a modem built in Thailand, now in the U.S. being shipped to The Phillipines) for the end user's importation purposes. You can buy a brand new 56K modem these days for less than $20 but it would likely cost at least twice that to ship to your intended market in a timely manner.

You might want to test the waters by selling some used parts on E-Bay or a similar site to see where the market is.

I hope I haven't dampened your enthusiasm but thought I would point out some of the areas of concern.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:16 PM

Look in your own backyard. I give away dozens of computers a year to kids that thier parents can't afford to buy one for them. With Linux (Live version) and all the freeware available a P-II 400mhz with 128mb Ram and a 4gb HD could serve a high school child well. Not a gaming machine but more than enough to reseach homework on a $9.95/mo internet connection. I gave away several just a Christmas thru my church.
Just a thought if you still want to make a difference.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users