Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Loading Windows

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Smolenski7

Smolenski7

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

The other day the HD on my Asus u50a laptop failed suddenly. Well, I replaced the HD and things have improved, but I'm still having a similar problem. Here's what happens.

1. I turn on the computer and I get an error message. This was part of the original problem with the old HD. Also, the old HD would beep constantly, the new one seems fine. Here's a pict of the screen.

Posted Image

2. After a while, the screen changes to show another error message. Here's a pict.

Posted Image

3. So, I shut down and press F2 to enter the BIOS so that I can confirm that the Boot Priority is correct, it is. The HD is listed first, followed by the DVD/CD drive. I then press F10 to save any changes (remember though, I didn't change anything) and the computer loads windows and everything is great.

4. Next, I shut down again and restart. The same message appears. So I enter the BIOS, press F10 WITHOUT checking the Boot Priority, and Windows does NOT load. So it seems like I MUST simply check the Boot Priority and save any changes (even though I don't change anything) for the computer to load after shut down.

Why? How can I change this?

By the way, the new HD is very similar to the old one. However, it is a bit faster, the old HD spun at 5400rpm while the new HD spins at 7200rpm. They are both 500GB Seagate Momentus Hard Drives. Also, just in case it helps, I can restart the computer with no problems and it can wake up from sleeping too. Finally, it's an Asus so it has something called Fast Boot. I don't know much about it, but I think it doesn't load Windows, but allows Internet access, Skype, and has a photo and music manager as well. If I enter it and then go to Windows, the computer loads easily. So, I guess I only get the message after I shut down and press the power button.

Edited by Smolenski7, 29 January 2012 - 03:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

That "PXE" notation...indicates that your system is trying to boot from a network.

I've seen this happen on a system when the CMOS battery needed replacing...a weak battery can result in mixed signals being sent to Windows re hardware items.

I would go into the BIOS...verify that the boot settings call for hard drive first.

Your CMOS battery is fairly expensive at Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=asus+u50a+battery&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7360666884&ref=pd_sl_1jwmz3sn9g_b .

Another vendor, http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/499915545/laptop_cmos_battery_for_Asus_U20A.html .

Louis

#3 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Is there any way to test the battery before I buy one? I haven't had any problems with it and the computer can still run for several hours on battery alone.

Also, I get the same message when the computer is plugged? So wouldn't that mean the battery is not the problem??

Edited by Smolenski7, 29 January 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

The battery is both cheap enough and simple enough to replace. I'd just do it.

But as hamluis suggested, you can go into bios and check the device boot order.

Edited by Allan, 29 January 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#5 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

Every time I go to check the boot order, it says it's fine with one exception. After I reset the bios to default settings and then went back in, the Network was listed first. However, that was the only time and I changed it immediately. Now, the HD is listed first, but I'm still getting the same error messages.

#6 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

Just to be sure that the HD is ok, I did run the Short Drive Self Test in SeaTools. It passed.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

The short test is less reliable than the long test, IMO.

<<Now, the HD is listed first, but I'm still getting the same error messages.>>

Did you reboot...after seeing the message...to see if the system will try to boot from the hard drive?

As for replacing the CMOS battery...it's your system and we only suggest or state what we would do. If your boot settings don't hold for the hard drive, I don't see where you have a lot of options.

<<Is there any way to test the battery before I buy one? I haven't had any problems with it and the computer can still run for several hours on battery alone.>>

There are two batteries in a laptop. The big battery for power...and the CMOS battery, aka RTC battery.

http://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+CMOS+battery+replacement&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_enUS403#pq=laptop+cmos+battery+replacement&hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&cp=38&gs_id=n&xhr=t&q=laptop+CMOS+battery+replacement,+Asus&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-ContextMenu&rlz=1I7ADFA_enUS403&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=laptop+CMOS+battery+replacement,+Asus+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=39d4c75cd492ccc4&biw=1440&bih=671

The CMOS battery is more important than the larger battery, since a laptop can function on direct current sans power battery. A system can be chaos with a weak CMOS, do nothing with a dead one.

Every desktop also has a CMOS battery, usually costs less than $5 and is easily changed. This is not necessarily the case with a laptop.

Louis

#8 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

"As for replacing the CMOS battery...it's your system and we only suggest or state what we would do. If your boot settings don't hold for the hard drive, I don't see where you have a lot of options."

I guess it's worth a shot. I'll try it now. Hopefully Radio Shack is open and has the one I need.

Edited by Smolenski7, 29 January 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#9 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

I tried to access where the cmos battery is, but I couldn't get at it. I just couldn't get the cover off. I probably removed 12-15 screws, but it would easily come off. I did see where the battery is, and tried to pry it out, but it wouldn't budge. Any suggestions on how to remove the back cover an an Asus u50a?

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

enter bios and set defaults, or look around for disabling booting from lan , lan boot is not a default setting ,reboot see what happens

Edited by caperjac, 29 January 2012 - 05:57 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

enter bios and set defaults, or look around for disabling booting from lan , lan boot is not a default setting ,reboot see what happens

It's already disabled, thanks.

#12 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Check that, it wasn't disabled. I just disabled it. That seems to have gotten rid of the first error message, but the second one still exists. It reads, "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

I can't find anything online about removing the back cover either, any help?

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

Check that, it wasn't disabled. I just disabled it. That seems to have gotten rid of the first error message, but the second one still exists. It reads, "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

I can't find anything online about removing the back cover either, any help?

ok, and you have the hard drive set to first boot correct .you can kind of[wont tell if its weak just dead ] check you bios battery with out removing ,just remove laptop battery and power source for an hour or 3 and if the changes you made to the bios remain then the batters is still doing its thing

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#14 Smolenski7

Smolenski7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

ok, and you have the hard drive set to first boot correct .you can kind of[wont tell if its weak just dead ] check you bios battery with out removing ,just remove laptop battery and power source for an hour or 3 and if the changes you made to the bios remain then the batters is still doing its thing

So, if I understand you correctly you want me to remove the battery and charger/plug from the computer and leave it alone for 1-3 hours. Then check to see if the changes are still there. Yes? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Honestly, I don't see how that will show anything since it's not holding with the battery left in, but I'll try anything. Thanks.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

I think that he is suggesting that...removing the battery and disconnecting the power sources from the system...will enable you to determine if the CMOS battery is weakening.

I don't think it will, but that seems to be what is suggested.

The CMOS battery has absolutely nothing to do with power coming into the system. It is a self-contained memory system that is not dependent at all on system components for functionality. It's the other way around, the system components are dependent on the CMOS battery...to work properly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users