Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq NX 7010

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bivels

bivels

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

Hi All

2012 is my year of computer hell

I have this HP Compaq, which cost me a few thousand dollars 6 years ago. The screen went black about ten days ago, but the computer was still running in the background, and if I press the lid close switch on the monitor the screen lights up for half a second. After endlessely trolling on the internet I came to the conclusion that my inverter was the problem.

So I ordered a new inverter, did the step by step instruction and changed it myself. Lord and behold it worked and everything was working again and I was very proud of myself.

24 hours later I walk into my home office and yes the screen is black again with the same problem.

I am close to throwing out this laptop but cannot really aford a new one right now. Can anyone here help me, please?

Could this be a virus? Rkill cannot find anything.

Thank you in advance,

bivels

Edited by bivels, 29 January 2012 - 06:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

Have you checked the HP support webpage...for that system? That's where I would start.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SupportTaskIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=380679

Louis

#3 bivels

bivels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your quick reply. However, my problem is not listed there, as I don't have a blinking cursor, just a black screen, and the computer running normally in the background.

Kind Regards,

bivels

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

There are two parts plus the cable that can cause a black screen.

Inverter
LCD Panel
Cable from the motherboard to panel & Inverter.

I had a Lenovo that had a dark screen that drove me crazy.

I hooked up my spare screen and no backlight so I ordered a Inverter. Still no backlight.
Changed the cable and bam it worked. Usually it is the screen followed by the Inverter and in a few cases the cable. Also a remote possibility that it is the motherboard.

if I press the lid close switch on the monitor the screen lights up for half a second

This usually indicates a defective backlight.

I believe you can download the maintenance manual for your model from the HP/Compaq Website if needed.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi

Check your AC power adapter.

I once was stupid enough to replace an inverter 3 times (at least I had a source that sold them to me pretty cheaply like $20) before thinking hmmm... maybe something is sending too much voltage to the inverter. I usually got a few weeks of use out of each one before it went black again. Turned out my AC power supply was spiking and all of the systems in the laptop were able to handle it with whatever voltage regulators and capacitors to clean out the spikes but the inverter was not protected well enough.

Anyway, a new ac power supply and 4th inverter have kept it running fine for almost two years now.

James

#6 bivels

bivels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. However, why would the laptop work perfectly for roughly 24 hours after I replaced the inverter with no backlight problem and then all of a sudden revert back to exactly the same problem than before changing the inverter.

Rotor123, unfortunately, there is nothing in the maintenance manual about defective backlight.

NeverSayDie's solution is the closest to my problem, as far as I can see, but would an inverter burn out that quickly, after the old one lasted for 5 years at my current location?

I will not attempt any fix till I can get a clearer answer on this problem. Thinking caps on, guys, please. This problem is driving me nuts.

Regards,

bivels

Edited by bivels, 30 January 2012 - 05:31 AM.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi

If you know someone who can test your AC power supply, they can tell you if it is outputting the proper voltage and if it is clean. In my case, it was obvious once I tested it.

James

#8 bivels

bivels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

Hi Worked it out I think Will Change the CCFLs and this should fix the problem

I now know why the inverter went off after 24 hours there a safety sensor built into inverters that switches them off when the CCFLs start losing strenght.

if anyone thinks I am on the wrong path please let me know before I order this part tomorrow, Also are the CCFLs compicated to change I live in a small village in North Eastern France and I only a self learner tech but I did not have much hassle changing the inverter.

Thanks again for your valued input

Bivels

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

The replacement ccfls I saw you needed to solder the wires from the old ones to the new ones.

I was never happy with the results myself. I always had some light bleeding in from the bottom.

There are a lot of parts in that LCD panel that are layers that have to be in the proper order and the electronics along the one edge are delicate.

Look online before ordering for a tutorial on how to do it and then decide if you want to try?

If you do try be sure to only hold the panels layers by the edges, Don't want fingerprints or dust in there.

It can be done, I just didn't have the touch required.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 bivels

bivels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Just had a look at whats invovled and I think I am safer buying a new LCD panel given the fiddly work in changing the CCFLs.

thank you Roger for the heads up
Regards Bivels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users