Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Slow & Locking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tiggercae

Tiggercae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi - I'm trying to help out my elderly parents with their computer. It has been running REALLY slow lately. I did all the maintenance I knew how to do and removed programs they weren't using. It's better, but still slow. Can you help me help them? Thanks. Their computer originally came with Windows Vista and I upgraded it to Windows 7 a year ago.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

1) Deleting programs has nothing to do with speeding up a system

2) EXACTLY what is the issue? Please define REALLY slow - EXACTLY what is slow?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

What maintenance did you do?

#4 Tiggercae

Tiggercae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hi.. sorry for the delay in replying (not that it affects you at all!), but I have been ill. When I say I deleted programs to speed things up, it is because my Dad had multiple anti-virus programs installed and running, and I think that was an issue. He now has only one, VIPRE. (His choice, I don't know anything about it.) My Mom reports that when she starts it in the morning it gives her an error message and then proceeds to reboot itself. They also report that whenever they open e-mail (Windows Live Mail) there is a message that says simply "error" in the bottom right hand corner, although they can read their e-mail. Additionally, my Dad reports that he occasionally gets the "blue screen of death." Also occasionally the computer freezes completely and he cannot even shut it down; he must turn it off with the power button.

They do say that since I worked on it last it is greatly improved in the "speed" department, although not as fast as when they first got it (told them that's to be expected).

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly what I did; basically tried everything I could think of. (I'm not an expert... I know just enough to get into trouble at times - and sometimes back out.) I deleted temporary internet files. I cleared the cache and deleted cookies. I ran a defrag. Standard stuff.

I don't know if any of those "PC fix" software products are any good; I'm always skeptical. But if there is a good one, I'm willing to try it. I'm also willing to do anything/everything manually. I'm pretty comfortable with a computer and know when to stop before I do more harm than good. I can follow instructions; I just don't know what to look for.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Okay yes, you were right to delete all but one AV - good job. And no, NONE of the "pc fix" or registry repair utilities are any good. Please avoid all of them. Let's start here:

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users