Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sophos & SecuROM Unknown Hidden Files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Salv

Salv

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hi, hopefully this is the correct subforum for the issue I'm experiencing.

Today I began some routine security scans. Once I got round to Sophos, I let it run for the full duration. As expected, it returned some hidden Avast files which, to my knowledge, are related to the sandbox module. However, it also returned two unexpected entries.

Area: Local hard drives
Description: Unknown hidden file
Location: C:\Users\Brad\AppData\Roaming\SecuROM\UserData\ЃϵϳЅЂϿϽϯІχϯπρϴϱЄϱЃϵϳЅ
Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended for this file)
Notes: (no more detail available)

Area: Local hard drives
Description: Unknown hidden file
Location: C:\Users\Brad\AppData\Roaming\SecuROM\UserData\ЃϵϳЅЂϿϽϯІχϯπρЂϻϵЉЃϵϳЅ
Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended for this file)
Notes: (no more detail available)

I had no idea what these were so I did the obvious and Googled related phrases. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything definitive. SecuROM appears to be a copyright protection tool, though what these exact files are and how/if they relate to SecuROM, I don't know. The time and date of creation for both of these files is 3:54 AM 17/01/2012. This happens to be almost exactly the same time I had installed the game 'Crysis'. Crysis does also appear to use SecuROM.

How should I proceed with this? I don't want to ignore a potential threat but at the same time, these files are alien to me. Does anyone know what they are? Is there anything I can use to determine whether they're safe?

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 28 January 2012 - 03:30 PM.
No logs, moved from Malware Removal Logs to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users