Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are some good secure DNS servers to use?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 printerandink

printerandink

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

By secure I mean ones that are guaranteed not to be corrupted or hacked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Use your ISP's DNS Servers.

#3 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

I used to allow my pc to automatically choose the one, and I'm guessing that that was the one my ISP uses. It was disturbingly corrupted.

Edited by printerandink, 28 January 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

How can you determine the corruption of the DNS Cache that your ISP was handing out to clients?

#5 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

It would force me into an odd search engine and pull up disturbing results that were not consistent with what I was searching for. The pc itself did not appear corrupted and fter changing to a secure DNS that stopped happening. I just wanted to know what all secure DNS options there were.

I'm not sure what the cache is or if it was corrupted. But the re-directions and the fact that it stopped when I locked in a recommended DNS server tells me that that one that I was automatically being connected too was corrupted.

Edited by printerandink, 28 January 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Those redirects could be the result of an infection on your computer.

#7 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

An infection was never found and the changing of the DNS caused them to no longer happen. Maybe the computer is infected, but I've scanned it with so many things so far that if it is infected it is very hard to find.

What all secure DNS options are there?

And I must admit that these constant hour glasses I'm getting are a bit odd.

Edited by printerandink, 28 January 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

What you're describing seems more like malware than corrupted DNS servers. I would suggest:

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Okay, but what are some secure DNS's?

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I have no idea, as I use my ISP's default DNS servers. I've never had an issue that required a change.

Maybe someone else has an idea?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Google DNS is good, OpenDNS is good, but you should perform the steps as outlined by Animal.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

No experience with Comodo but here's a thread here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic257103.html

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

First of all, I hate to sound repetitive, but the first thing you should do is follow the instructions given by Animal.

I personally use DynDNS. Here is a link from a previous topic that has some information about it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic403591.html/page__p__2290919__fromsearch__1#entry2290919

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users