Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's Going On With My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vernodia

vernodia

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:15 AM

Hi,

I have recently removed some trojans from my system. But it seems that I still have spyware left. I use Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, and Spyblaster as well as an antivirus program. None of these detects anything, but whenever I run the Panda Software active scan, I get the following details:

Incident Adware:adware/adsmart

Status Not Disinfected

Location C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vx.tll

How do I remove this?

And can anyone comment on the new beta windowsonecare.com that incorporates antivirus, etc. I find it to be average and am thinking of removing it.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:47 AM

Hi vernodia

Let's deal with the small virus you have at the moment. I will come back to the latter question after we have deleted the file.

Please naviagte to this file:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vx.tll

Right click on it and click delete.
If you aren't able to find the file just let me know.

David

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:59 AM

Comment:

It is rather difficult to judge MS Windows1Care on the basis of a Beta version which is presented for public testing. Until it goes live, and has a track record that would allow a comparision with other software, it remains a question mark.
Given that it is created by the same company that created a robust and secure operating system, and given that the various applications bundled together may have varying degrees of effectiveness, and given that there are free (and paid) alternatives available, it remains to be seen whether W1C will attract enough customers (and more importantly RETAIN these) to have the kind of support level provided by other companies.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 13 February 2006 - 06:00 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 vernodia

vernodia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:07 AM

Removed the vx.tll file. Does this complete the process or do I need to run another scan by Panda Software?

All this started with a trojan I had once got and removed with the windelfkil program. I have since scanned with Ewido, Trojan Hunter, Symantec Antivirus, McAffee Antivirus, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and seems to be all clear. Do I need to scan in safe mode to be sure, or reset the restore point? By the way, the spyware blaster may be a useful tool, but every now and then when it asks me to allow a change, I cannot even read the message (it does not appear fully) so I have to guess whether to allow or not allow the change. Ususally, I just close the window and it automatically does not allow any change to the registry. Any history of this type of problem happening?

Yes, i agree that there is probably not too much data on the onecare package, but I think I will delete it and wait till it goes live to see the feedback then.

Also, my trial mcaffee is expiring in a month, and I was thinking o switching to AVG (free)....thoughts?

Thanks!

Vernodia

#5 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:13 AM

Hi

Jgweed summed up your second question perfectly. I don't have anything to add :thumbsup:.

I'm pretty sure that that is the end of your problems; however the file may mutate. I would like you to scan with Panda once more and report back with whether the file has gone. If programs such as Ewido and Adaware are coming back clean then i'm pretty sure you should be good to go.

However, i have another major concern. You say you've scanned with Symantec Antivirus and McAffee Antivirus. Do you have both of these installed on your computer. If so it is a very bad idea. Having two AV's running at the same time is killer for your computer as they conflict and end up cancelling out each others protection. Things like ewido and adaware you can have as many as you want as they aren't AV's (anti-viruses). Please can you confirm how many AV's you have installed...

I do highly recommend AVG free edition - i use it! [/b] Others that i also recommend could be:

Antivir
Avast Free
AVG Free
Bitdefender Free

Let me know what you think.
David

#6 vernodia

vernodia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •