Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual PC??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 carinsharon

carinsharon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

I am running Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit. I have several older programs that I like to use. They run for just a little while and then they lock up and quit working. Two of the programs that have done this so far is PSP7 and Homesite 5.5...I need these 2 programs. I was wondering if I were to install a virtual XP if these programs would run in it...

CarinSharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi

Have you tried running them in Compatibility mode?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-program-compatibility

I remember HomeSite but what is PSP7?

James

#3 fetlock

fetlock

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hello,

I agree with trying to run them in compatibility mode first. If that fails then you can try the Microsoft Virtual PC/XP Mode option. At least you can run XP mode silently and publish your legacy applications so they run seamlessly from your W7 desktop/Start Menu (Assumiong your hardware can cope with a virtual PC runing in the background).

Alternatively you can look at Sun Virtualbox or VMWare Player to run XP.

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 May 2012 - 08:50 AM.
Removed unnecessary link. ~ OB

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

i use xp mode for older winxp programs
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Edited by caperjac, 28 January 2012 - 02:48 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

Yes I have tried the Compatability and things works for just a little while and then they start missing parts of the program and lock up me and won't work. PSP 7 is an older Paint Shop Pro program that uses vectors and is a lot easier to use than the newer ones. I have downloaded both the XP Mode and the Virtual PC from Microsoft but not sure where to go from there. Do I install both of these? And the programs that aren't working for me do I need to uninstall and then install them within the virtual pc?

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

There is a PDF called "Running Windows XP Mode with Windows Virtual PC" on this page that will help you out...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/default.aspx

Sometimes it's hard to get through Microsoft's marketing jargon to the actual answers :)

James

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

the link i supplied told you how to and what one of the program to install first ect ect .

windows virtual pc will show in start all programs ,you click the xpmode it will load and you would install the photo shop there ,it will not matter that you have them installed in win7.

once you install winxp mode ,open start /all programs and then open windows virtual pc ,you will then see xp mode check the attachment on how to setup the ram amount ,default is 500 meg i use 1gig,sorry for the typos in the attachment ,fingers work slower than my brain lol

Edited by caperjac, 28 January 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#8 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

I downloaded tool to check and see if HAV is available and it says that it is not enabled. I have an MSI H61M-P23 B3 Intel H61 Motherboard and I also have 8GB of RAM. Now all I have to do is to find where to enable it in the bios.

CarinSharon

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:22 AM

I downloaded tool to check and see if HAV is available and it says that it is not enabled. I have an MSI H61M-P23 B3 Intel H61 Motherboard and I also have 8GB of RAM. Now all I have to do is to find where to enable it in the bios.

CarinSharon

no need according to this .i don't have HAV on my desktop nor did i have it on the laptops i used xp mode on .
check this .
http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2010/03/19/windows-virtual-pc-and-windows-xp-mode-no-longer-require-hav-processors.aspx

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Running xpmode in Windows 7 with Virtual PC used to require Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise versions? It wouldn't run if you had Windows Home Premium version.

Not sure if that's changed.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Running xpmode in Windows 7 with Virtual PC used to require Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise versions? It wouldn't run if you had Windows Home Premium version.

Not sure if that's changed.

your are correct ct of course ,but OP already said they had win7 Pro ,in there first post

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

your are correct ct of course ,but OP already said they had win7 Pro ,in there first post

So they did! Well off I go to the eye doctors. Posted Image

Regards,
Brooks

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

So they did! Well off I go to the eye doctors. Posted Image

lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users