Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremly slow internet and responses even connected directly

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 beckylynn420

beckylynn420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

My husband put a new motherboard and keyboard on my DV6 made by HP. I have wireless internet in my house and I am usually at an average distance from my router. I have the starter internet thru our cable provider which is very basic and slow. On speedtest is comes up at a ping of 10ms and download is 1.10mbps and upload is .28 (eeek!) I have not done much playing around on this computer but it is SO slow...even if I hit control+alt+delete it takes forever for that to come up. My harddrive is not full, as I have 158 of 226 free. I installed Chrome the other day hoping maybe it would help....it did not....I thought it was just a massive memory hog as when I looked at its usage was over 600k....but just a bit ago while be hardwired into my modem my internet explorer froze solid....when I checked in task manager it was over 600k as well then dropped to around 28k once explorer finally shut down. As it does this I watched it freeze and climb higher and higher to just over 700k and use 99% of physical memory!!! When I finally get it to shut down the browser, which seems to take ages, it will drop down to 30's range on memory usage. I am typing these last few sentences to edit it now using chrome and it is at 5k, 21k, and 31k for chrome using only 41% memory. But, I bet if I go try to play farmville, it will climb up there above the 600k range too just like explorer...only know cause it did it yesterday.... Is there some place we can start to see if this is a computer issue or I just have really bad internet??
Thank you
Brandi Heimbach

Edited by beckylynn420, 28 January 2012 - 11:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

My husband put a new motherboard and keyboard on my DV6 made by HP.

Was the same issue present before?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Not that I can remember. We were in a different house then. I am going to check the other laptop and see what values it gives me. Be back in a bit. I am wondering now though, before I go check, if it is not a combination of the internet speed plus the video card. Maybe it just is not enough to support farmville (boo)...I can look thru facebook and other sites and as I monitor it thru manager the values do not seem to climb as much...for example, doing this now thru explorer and it is at 58% memory and 95k in the chart....hmm...strange....gonna go check the other one and come back.

#4 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

Ok....so I used the dv4....went to farmville using internet explorer. It loaded my farm....as soon as it started to load it jumped up to 480k and fifty five percent memory usage....I clicked to visit another farm, it froze went to not responding for a few seconds then as it started to laod the page the explorer number soared to five sixty then 718k as it contined to load all her stuff....so, hmm.....this is making me lean more towards the internet connection....but, I am not savvy at this stuff, so I shall let you decide :)
Thank you
Brandi Heimbach

#5 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

Oh incase you are wondering the reason for the new board....its cause he broke the clip for the keyboard ribbon on the old board, and when he added a new clip parts of the keyboard were non responsive so he just ordered me new board and keyboard cause he thought he may have heated up a spots too much on accident and didnt wanna risk the board frying all together. Sorry, I did not think to mention that before.

#6 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

I get these at the bottom of my pages too.....like instead of saying just done, it has done, with a piece of paper (i think) and a yield sign....this one is on your forum page.....
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 18:29:15 UTC

Line: 569
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/public/min/index.php?ipbv=31007&g=js

Just thought I would tell you incase it has something to do with this issue!

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

I suggest you call your ISP and let them test your connection.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#8 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Ok calling them now.

#9 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

I called they tested it said all looked good. I was able to connect to a person on the street behind me three houses over wirelessly and they have 8mb download (says speedtest) and it seemed to respond alot better however the numbers and physical memory usage are still very high...is that normal?? I know when this is going on if I hit control+alt+delete I have a ten second response time...that is from the time I hit it and the screen goes black and stays black, then goes to preparing security options to selecting task manager. So, I am lost. This is not an internet required thing but it takes forever too!!! As does shut down on the system.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

What Windows version is it?

What type of connection do you have (cable, DSL, satellite...)?
What's your ISP advertised speed (you can check it on your bill)?

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.

Upload the file(s) here: http://www.filedropper.com/
Copy the link inside the Link To Share This File With Anyone: box and post it in your next reply.

My Website

#11 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

I have Vista Service Pack two running.
Internet is thru the cable company and I have the modem hooked to a router.
My internet speed is starter internet and it is 1MB download speed...(I called again today found out they have up to fifty I was like WOW!!!)
My computer is just nuts....even just sittin on desktop screen and it uses like 40% memory....Just mentioned cause mom's didn't come close to that number even when she was playing mafia wars...weird.....
Here is the information you asked from the program.

http://www.filedropper.com/procexp_1

Thank you
Brandi Heimbach

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Vista handles RAM in different ways than previous Windows versions.
Speaking in simple terms it'll take all RAM it can get and it'll keep it ready in its cache.
Said that, the only thing you have to worry about is CPU usage.
According to PE log CPU usage is normal.
System Idle Process (CPU NOT used) is listed at 96.92%

On speedtest is comes up at a ping of 10ms and download is 1.10mbps and upload is .28

It looks accurate for what you're paying:

My internet speed is starter internet and it is 1MB download speed

Other than upgrading your service there is not much you can do.

My Website

#13 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Ah well that is kinda what I thought as well....I did, however, go to NVIDIA and it found a driver I did not have and that has helped my graphics speed tremendously :)
Thank you for your help. I cannot believe how much they want to upgrade my internet....it is 36.99 for 3MB and 51.99 for 12!!!! I may switch back to the phone company or hit up my wireless carrier!!!

Thanks again
Brandi Heimbach

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users