Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem: Startup

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IainP

IainP

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Greetings,

I've been having this problem since new year 2012, day after new year my computer refused to start.

It is a:
Acer Aspire 6530G
Model No.:ZK3
Manufactured: 2008

It wont load into Windows 7, it wont even go into POST. There is no fan or harddrive activity, all it dose is flash the orange battery light. It will not start with or without power cord, and with or without battery. I felt this could be a battery problem so I went and ordered two new batteries of different ratings (closest I could get to the original)

Original:

AS07B32
Sanyo Lithium Ion Battery Pack
14.8V DC 4800mAh

New Battery 1 (Did not fix problem):
AS07B42
Li-Ion 11.1V DC 4800mAh

New Battery 2 (Again Did not fix problem):

AS07B41
Li-ion 14.8V DC 5200mAh

but no luck there, after testing both. it still will not boot. The only modifications the laptop has had from original is replacing the harddrive with a 500GB one, and upgrading from windows vista to windows 7. these changes have been functioning fine for a good couple of years so that cant be the problem... I really am stuck at what to do next. I have no idea what could have caused this and thought at first it could be a built in product lifetime, but I find that to be a silly excuse.

Problem revised:

Will not start (no hardware function, no POST)
Power cord in battery in. (Mains light is lit. Orange Charging light is lit. Power Button on press nothing.)
Power cord in battery out. (Mains light is lit. Orange Charging light is off. Power Button on press still nothing.)
Power cord out battery in. (Mains light is off. Power Button on press orange battery charging light flashes 4 times)

I really need this laptop running again soon, and I'm low on money so I cannot get a new one of its spec. any information or help would be much appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum, at the recommendation of staff. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

hi, remove battery and power cord , my first suggestion would be to look on the bottom for the RAM cover ,using a small screwdriver remove the cover and remove the ram chips .plug in power cord ,and try booting the laptop .
i

Edited by caperjac, 28 January 2012 - 07:53 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

There is no fan or harddrive activity, all it dose is flash the orange battery light

Is this a blinking amber light? Most likely its a drained CMOS battery not a laptop battery.

Tekken

#4 IainP

IainP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

@caperjac I have already reseated the ram and tried booting, with no change in its state, just tried what you said there with the ram completely out, nothing. Thanks anyway thoe

@jhayz I've had the back maintenance panel off a couple of times and I see two components which look CMOS Related, one is the usual Button Battery, thoe its different from ones ive seen, its in a sealed rubber like case/coating with a red and a black wire connecting it to the board. then there's a rather large capacitor which is connected into the board via red and black wire aswell. is the capacitor of any relevance or should I just disconnect the button battery and check the voltage on it. Thoe if the CMOS battery was low or drained. shouldn't it still start up ? but just give a warning in post? or could it be one of Acer's 'wonderful' custom features ¬_¬

Edited by IainP, 29 January 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

@caperjac I have already reseated the ram and tried booting, with no change in its state, just tried what you said there with the ram completely out, nothing. Thanks anyway thoe

@jhayz I've had the back maintenance panel off a couple of times and I see two components which look CMOS Related, one is the usual Button Battery, thoe its different from ones ive seen, its in a sealed rubber like case/coating with a red and a black wire connecting it to the board. then there's a rather large capacitor which is connected into the board via red and black wire aswell. is the capacitor of any relevance or should I just disconnect the button battery and check the voltage on it. Thoe if the CMOS battery was low or drained. shouldn't it still start up ? but just give a warning in post? or could it be one of Acer's 'wonderful' custom features ¬_¬

a few yrs ago i worked on a tower that would not turn on ,i removed the battery and put in a new ,and it turned on ,common ,i dough it but it happened , the laptop battery is the one covered and plugged in ,can hur to remove it and leave it out for a time and replace it and see what happens

Edited by caperjac, 29 January 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

, all it dose is flash the orange battery light.

What do you mean by flash?
Posted Image

Tekken

#7 IainP

IainP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

@jhayz the little orange charge light next to the mains light under the touch pad just flashes on and off 4 times *blinking*

Posted Image

@caperjac I know what the CMOS Battery is, its right now already out and sitting on my desk, while I wait for the new one to arrive at work. what voltage is it usually so I can check with my meter?

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

the bios battery should be 3volt

#9 IainP

IainP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

thanks ill have a check in the morning :)

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

The blinking could be cause by a drained CMOS battery or a faulty/dead power supply.

Tekken

#11 IainP

IainP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

Well I just checked the CMOS Battery there and its at 2.86v ......

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

Well I just checked the CMOS Battery there and its at 2.86v ......

close enough ,

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

It wont load into Windows 7, it wont even go into POST. There is no fan or harddrive activity, all it dose is flash the orange battery light. It will not start with or without power cord, and with or without battery. I felt this could be a battery problem so I went and ordered two new batteries of different ratings (closest I could get to the original)

above is from you first post ,reading it over i say if it was a bad laptop battery it should still work off the power cord , i fix,try to fix computer for about 14 yrs now , over the past couple of years i was giving a couple of computer like yours ,some would just not work again no matter what i tried,used them for spar parts ,at least 1 i fixed ,it had a video card problem ,overheating ,i used a butane torch on the chip and it worked after that ,still going i think .
its quite possible you laptop got a power surge ,on new years ,shorting out the motherboard or frying something , it maybe just dusty/dirty fans and stuff , or it may or may not be fixable .

Edited by caperjac, 31 January 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#14 IainP

IainP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Interesting... I was out at a party new years and I left it, unplugged and far from hazards.. like I always do when I am ever out for a long period of time... so I don't think it was a surge damage, plus my buildings wiring is ... 'different' to support and protect a high number of machines, thoe they are dedicated to their tasks which is why I need this laptop running, I'm right now using my test rig to access this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users