Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS won't boot from USB or disc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Septimus

Septimus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:24 AM

Hello all,

Recently I've been trying to install a new operating system alongside my current two(Vista and Ubuntu(through Wubi)), but the main problem with it is that I need to boot from a Live Disc, so I have a USB and DVD both with the same OS I want to boot with, and my BIOS gives the option for both of those(if I'm interpreting the names right) in the boot menu. I put the boot menu in something like this(from memory. I don't know how to take a SS in BIOS.).
1: Optiartic CD-R Drive
2: USB FDD
3: USB CDROM
4&5: Network boot (unnecessary really.)
6: HDD

I put the Hard Drive at last so I could give every other type of boot a chance to work first, but I always end up at the boot choice for Vista and Ubuntu, and it never boots into the OS I have on the disc or USB, which are both in at the same time, and I've checked all the USB ports for the USB drive, and my CD drive can also read DVDs.

Thanks in advance,
Septimus

Edit: oh and yes they work, it's the same file on both and I was able to get the USB working on the family computer.
This laptop is only about 4 to 5 years old.. -ish.
Edit2: Ooh I forgot, I'm using an Acer Aspire 5315-2326 laptop, and My BIOS version is ACRSYS - 1, if memory serves.

Edited by Septimus, 28 January 2012 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

im think the way to boot to the usb or cdrom is to hit f10 or f11 or f12 ,i read on the net it might actually be f12 , on bootup and you should get the boot options screen ,you would then choose either the usb or cdrom then.

1: Optiartic CD-R Drive
2: USB FDD
3: USB ... something.
4&5: Network boot (unnecessary really.)
6: HDD

also i think the usb FDD{floppy drive} one you should try putting it lower in the order , it may actuall not be able to boot to a usb device ,don't think all laptops had that function 4 or 5 yrs ago

Edited by caperjac, 28 January 2012 - 12:48 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Septimus

Septimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Ahh, FDD is a floppy drive. I haven't had one of those on a computer since I had win98. Anyway,
I didn't know I could directly do that, so after looking through BIOS options for a bit, I found an option to display f12 for boot choice. I was only given the options for the Optiarc CD-R drive, the two network boots, and the HDD. The CD drive won't boot.

Does that mean it's impossible for me to boot a live OS?

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

with the bios boot order set to boot from the dvdrom 1st boot it should boot to the live disk

Edited by caperjac, 28 January 2012 - 07:27 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Septimus

Septimus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

I did put the Optiarc drive first, it did nothing, and the other USB option was USB CDROM(no option for that in the F12 boot choices...) Adding that to the first post.

This is one of the hardware-related things that I've found I can't do, yet again. I'm compiling a list of things I need for my next laptop... I just have to save the money now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users