Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help running executable files from desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rangerray

rangerray

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

I have a virus or hacker. I download a few files to scan for malware, viruses, spyware, etc. I've downloaded them onto my desktop, but everything i used to start them up doesn't work. I've gone into the folder, and even checked the executable file box. I have Ubuntu 11.10. with windows XP in the background. Which I thought I erased, but its still there. Probably 50 % of my files are reconfigured or has somekind of loop to prevent me from doing anything. I've reinstalled my operating system over 100 times in 4 months, used the three operating systems, broke two operating disks. First was Windows vista, then I went to WIndows XP, now I'm using Ubuntu 11.10. Can someone please tell what application i need to use to start a rootkit scan file fsbl.exe. Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

As far as rootkit scanners I use rkhunter and chkrootkit. They are both in Synaptic Package Manager, or if you choose you can install them via a terminal. Here's a little about them - -

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2010/09/detecting-rootkits-in-ubuntu-system.html

#3 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

The file you're trying to run is for Windows. You might be able to get it to run under WINE. But that won't do you any good with linux.

You'll need other things, like the ones mentioned. Trouble is, they work for linux. I don't know if they can detect a Windows rootkit or not. (I don't do Windows in case you haven't figured that out.)

There are also antivirus programs that run under linux (used to prevent infections to Windows machines, not to protect linux). Those will work to detect Windows viruses since those are the only ones to worry much about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users