Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is using a USB adapter to connect a PS2 keyboard to USB port ill-advised?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Good evening everyone,

I have had a problem with my computer not booting normally. Earlier in the day, I happened to unplug the Microsoft Digital Media 3000 (Intellitype Pro) keyboard from the machine when doing a restart, and the computer then booted normally.

I also discovered that if I use a USB adapter to connect a spare keyboard (which has a PS2 plug [several pins]) to one of the USB ports, that also allows the computer to boot properly.

My question: I have heard that using a USB adapter to connect a PS2 device to the computer via a USB port could have dire consequences. Is this true, and if so, what type of consequences could result?

Thanks very much for your time and any information!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Never heard of that.

I have both a PS2 keyboard and mouse plugged into a belkin dual PS2-USB adapter and have used it on literally a 100+ rigs in the shop, and never a problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

I appreciate your feedback on the adapter, dpunisher!

It would seem logical...since if there were the potential for serious problems to occur using the adapter in such a way...the manufacturers wouldn't make them in the first place. By the way...have you ever heard the term, "mobo?" The source I heard the "dire consequences" warning from...used that term. I've never heard it before. :unsure:

Thanks very much again!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

Pete C., good morning and welcome to the weekend.

Mobo = shorthand for motherboard

Onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thanks very much for the info, Winterland! :busy:

spc3rd

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

:whistle: The only dire consequence I can think of is one less USB port!

I have a nice HP 4 port KVM switch that switches Keyboard, Video, Mouse, Audio out and Microphone. It is PS2 based and comes with HP adapter to connect Keyboard and Mouse to one USB port. I use it all the time And never killed anything.

As far as they wouldn't sell it if it caused problems? You can buy cables on ebay that are totally useless.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users