Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no virus protection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zzzdog

zzzdog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

my virus protection (avast) died. now my computer is super slow, google chrome doesn't work right &it won't load anything all the way. everything else is working slow &when we tried to download avast it didn't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

What happened to cause Avast to "die"? When did it happen?

Did you get any error messages when it quit working or when you tried to reinstall?

Anything else happening like "you are infected" pop ups?

Have you tried downloading and installing a different antivirus such as Microsoft Security Essentials?

Try to get an anti-virus installed. Then run a malware scanner-Malwarebytes is a good one to use.

Take a read of Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

If you follow the steps and your system still runs slow someone will help you determine if it is software, hardware or malware related.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 January 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#3 zzzdog

zzzdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

we don't know why it stoppped working. yes we tried downloading that &when the downloads box pops up there's nothing in it but it says it downloaded

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

What you have described as happening is out of my area of expertise.

I'll put out a call for help and hopefully someone will be able to help you.

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hello zzzdog,

Until some of the more experienced forum members can arrive to review your post, would you please be so kind as to provide the following info which will enable them to assist you more efficiently:

1. Which operating system are you using.
2. Names of ANY security software presently on your computer (e.g. firewall, anti-malware, etc).
3. Which Avast product are (or were) you using? (e.g. Avast AV free/paid; Avast Internet Security, etc)
4. When Avast "died", did you receive any messages/notifications that your subscription needed to be renewed?
5. Have you tried running Avast's uninstall program and then re-installed it?
6. Have you tried Queen Evie's suggestion to download and run a scan with Malwarebytes yet? If so, would you please copy and paste the scan results in your next post; if you were unable to download and/or run a scan, please indicate the reason or any problems encountered.

* Malwarebytes (free or paid versions) can be downloaded via the link Queen Evie provided or by going to Malwarebytes.org.

Thank you and hopefully some of the members Queen Evie sent out a call to will drop by soon! :busy:

Edited by spc3rd, 27 January 2012 - 06:11 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hello ,please answer the above questions. I am moving this from XP to the Am I Infected forum as you probably are. We van move on once you answer those quetions and run this..

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Edited by boopme, 27 January 2012 - 06:53 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users