Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to connect laptop to TV

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tarboro

Tarboro

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

Anybody have directions for how to connect a laptop to TV, so that it can be watched on TV. I have the pre-requisite wiring, but the directions would be great since for some reason the contents of the laptop still is not appearing on the TV screen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

Posting the laptop and TV model would help. Some laptops need to press a function key to enable or extend external monitor display.

Tekken

#3 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

have a Windows 7 laptop with AMD Phenom II N660 Dual Core Processor 3.00 GHz. I am trying to connect to any TV. I will attempt the function option. Thanks

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

Most laptops function key combination nowadays have this feature. You must have the available video port(VGA/DVI/HDMI)and not just any TV.

Tekken

#5 svejk

svejk

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:17 AM

If your laptop is windows 7 there's a pretty good chance that it has an HDMI port. You really do need to provide the television and PC model numbers to get any advice on this.

If the television is a recent model flat screen it probably has HDMI inputs. In this case it usually is just plug-and-play. You might need to go into your PC's video settings to clone the output. Once you plug in the cable and find your way to your video settings it should be well explained.

If you are trying to connect your laptop to an "older" television with "legacy" connections you need to google "how to connect laptop to TV" and identify the info that corresponds to your situation.

Edited by svejk, 29 January 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#6 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

If your laptop is windows 7 there's a pretty good chance that it has an HDMI port. You really do need to provide the television and PC model numbers to get any advice on this.

If the television is a recent model flat screen it probably has HDMI inputs. In this case it usually is just plug-and-play. You might need to go into your PC's video settings to clone the output. Once you plug in the cable and find your way to your video settings it should be well explained.

If you are trying to connect your laptop to an "older" television with "legacy" connections you need to google "how to connect laptop to TV" and identify the info that corresponds to your situation.

Thanks. Yeah, it is Gateway NV53A. You are right that for the newer flat screen ones HDMI input connection should be sufficient. I was wondering about older TVs (i.e. older Symphonic models)...I'll google to see what I can come up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users