Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick help please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ESPplayer

ESPplayer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hey guys I recently upgraded my comp to windows 7 and I cannot see one of my partition. When I installed windows I had 298gigs free and before installing windows I made a 100gig for windows only to be installed on. Now that Im done I go to my computer and the other is not there. I went to disk management and see it but I am not sure the exact steps to take to assign a letter. I just see a bunch of volume options.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Before you can assign a drive letter it must be mounted and formatted for use. You can do this via Disk Management.

Right click on the Partition that has no drive Letter and format using NTFS and do a slow format to check for bad blocks and what not.

This should allow you to see the 100Gig Partition in My Computer

#3 ESPplayer

ESPplayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

When i right click I see stripped, spanned, simple, or mirrored volume. Do I want simple? Thanks for the quick replies I really want to get this started asap.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

Those are for RAID setups:

Here is my disk management options when I right click:

Posted Image

#5 ESPplayer

ESPplayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

Well I got this laptop as a hand me down. It is a G71 asus republic of gamers. Are they automatically set up as raids? Can you give me a brief explanation of what a raid is VS. a normal setup? thanks!

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

RAID would only be used to get more performance from having multiple disks in the system.

RAID 0 would combine 2 disks to get more perforrmance.

RAID 1 would be a mirror.

Does the computer have multiple drives in it excluding the optical one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users