Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page in nonpaged area

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rhutch

Rhutch

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

My friend has a lenovo thinkpad type 0578 with windows 7. He has been getting the page in non paged area blue screen of death. He tried doing a system restore, memory test, booting with last known good configuration, safe mode, etc. Now he is unable to open windows what-so-ever. In my limited research, I have found that it could possibly be a hardware issue with RAM. I am wondering if there is anything we can do to save the computer or get it running again or what to do at this point. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi

Try creating a Memtest86+ CD and test the RAM.

Here are some instructions...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic439686.html/page__st__15__p__2570716__hl__memtest86__fromsearch__1#entry2570716

James

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Use MemTest86+ to test your memory for failure.

• Download the latest version of the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip).
  • Locate the file you downloaded, right-click it and select Extract All. Check the box for Show extracted files when complete. Click Extract.
  • Burn the ISO file to a CD. Follow these instructions if this is new to you.
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD.
    • Repeatedly pressing F9 or F12 right after the computer is turned on is the most common way to bring up the 'boot device' menu. Choose the CD/DVD option and press Enter.
  • Memtest86+ will begin testing automatically and is designed to repeat its tests continuously. It is recommended that you allow the program to complete at least 7 'passes' before declaring the memory error-free.
    • Note: These tests can be very lengthy, often lasting many hours.
  • If Memtest finds an error, it will list it in red. There is no need to continue that test if an error is found. You may either press Esc to reboot or you may simply turn the computer off.
  • If there are errors and you are comfortable working inside the computer, begin narrowing down the error result by removing every stick of RAM except for the one closest to the CPU. Begin step #4 again. After the test, shut the computer down, remove the RAM stick, put the next one in its place, and retest. Repeat this pattern for each RAM stick.
  • Report your findings in your next reply.

====================================================

Perform diagnostics on your hard drive.

• If you can log into Windows or already know your hard drive's manufacturer:

• Click the Start Orb and type in "device manager." In the search results, double-click device manager.
    • Double-click Disk Drives. The first drive listed is most likely the one you want to test.
    • Take note of its manufacturer (Samsung, Western Digital (WD), Seagate (ST), Toshiba, Hitachi, etc.)
      [list]
    • If are still uncertain about your hard drive's manufacturer, include what you see there in your next reply and await further instructions.
  • Use this thread to download the appropriate diagnostic tool.
    • If you are unsure what to download or how to proceed, use SeaTools for Windows. Carefully read and follow the procedure given on that page.
  • If you cannot log into Windows & do not know your hard drive's manufacturer:

• If you haven't already, include your computer's manufacturer and model number in your next reply.
    • Use SeaTools for DOS. Carefully read and follow the procedure given on that page.
  • Whatever program you use, direct it to perform a 'short-test'. If it passes, perform a 'long-test'. This will likely take a few hours.
  • Report the results in your next reply.

=============================================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 Andrew Leslie

Andrew Leslie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

If the memory test passes with out any issues, an error my be that you do not have enough hard drive space.

It is recommended to have more free space for the amount of memory/RAM.
So say if you have 6GB of RAM, it is recommended to have 7GB free.

Just saying from a previous experience. When the hard drive is full and the page file grows, this blue screen happens.

#5 Rhutch

Rhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:49 AM

Windows doesn't open what-so-ever... would it data dump every startup if there wasn't enough hard drive space?
I am only going to be at my friends house until Monday as he lives in another state, so I really appreciate how quickly ya'll have been getting back to me.

RAM tests have passed.. HD short test passed.. setting it up for the long test overnight. Had trouble finding the appropriate file to run for Toshiba, only found an .exe so I am using Seatools for DOS.

Toshiba MK3261GSY model 41F0TOTZT revision MC002E on Intel 5M series / 3400 Series AHCI

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

Toshiba HDD utilities:

http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 Rhutch

Rhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Seatools finished it's long test and the computer passed. Is this sufficient or do I need to use the Toshiba specific test?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'd have more confidence in the Toshiba diagnostic if it's a Toshiba hard drive.

Louis

#9 Rhutch

Rhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

the trouble there is the diagnostic file is a .exe file.. not an .iso file. I wasted a disc by burning that file and the computer wont do any thing with it when booting.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

Did you create a bootable CD?

I still use Nero 6.6 and it has a setting for creating bootable discs (both CD and DVD).

If the disc is not bootable...of course, it won't do anything when you are trying to boot from it.

What software are you using to burn the CD?

Louis

#11 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Download the Toshiba DOS tool and extract it to a thumb drive. Plug it into the malfunctioning PC.

Use this guide to boot to a command prompt. You'll need a Win7 DVD.

At the prompt, type notepad. Click File > Open. Click Computer in the left pane. Your thumb drive should show up in the right pane. Take note of its drive letter. Cancel the dialog box and close notepad.

At the prompt, type X:\FJDT.EXE where "X" is the thumb drive letter. The diagnostic program should begin to run. Perform a short-test. If it passes, perform a long-test.

Report your results in your next reply.

~ LL ~

#12 Rhutch

Rhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

we dont have a win 7 cd, so that won't work. I did download ubuntu on my laptop, burned to cd, and installed it as a secondary OS so we can access files and save them to an external harddrive.. is there something better I can do from Ubuntu to see what caused the problems on the Windows 7 OS side?

#13 Rhutch

Rhutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

the only software I have is NTI Backupnow and Media maker, and Alex Feinmans ISO recorder.. as well as whatever windows burns with when I select a file and hit burn..

#14 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

http://www.paullegato.com/blog/flash-bios-without-floppy/

Follow those instructions. Of course, wherever it refers to the BIOS flashing utility, substitute the diagnostic utility.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users