Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Malcolm9909

Malcolm9909

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

Okay, well i'm usually good with computers and what not but, i got a fairly new computer About 5 months old, and something seems to be wrong with he hard drive, i've been adding alot of software and other stuff on my computer and i decided to clean alot of it out. i've deleted about 5 Gb of bleep off my computer but it sais i have deleted nothing. i've got a 100 gb Hard Drive and I have about 86 Gb free.. i've tried to restart my computer after i uninstall it and delete it but it still sais i have 86 Gb and if i install something else it deducts off that 86 Gb so basically every time i uninstall or delete something its doing nothing.
any help would be appreciated!

Thnx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:16 AM

This is just a guess to why, but...

Did you use the uninstall programs, or just delete shortcuts? If you just got rid of the shortcuts, then the actual program is still on your computer.

Or...

When you 'delete' something off of your computer, the OS just deletes the path to the object, so the file is still there, it is just marked not to be seen by the OS. The data is erased when it gets written over again by something you install. My guess would be that even though you deleted the files, and the paths to them are gone, the part that detects how much space is on the HDD can still 'see' the space that the files took up.

-Nick

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:49 AM

Did you empty the recycle bin?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Malcolm9909

Malcolm9909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:57 PM

Well when i delete or uninstall the files i use the add or remove programs..
and yes i enpty my recycle bin

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

Try Contaction your hard drives manufacturer to see...

If it is broken you prolly can get it off of the warranty if your computer is only 5 months old...

#6 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:23 AM

try disabling nortons file protection too if u use it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users