Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My poor, poor laptop...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cenfath

Cenfath

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this but here it goes:

So Monday I start class and my father has undertaken the task of "watching" my niece - my four year old niece who loves to be in her aunt's room. Well, while I was gone apparently she was in my room. I came home and my room was a mess (a pig sty more like it...) and I noticed my laptop on my bed. *I* didn't put it there and my dad isn't known to mess with things in my room so first guess - my niece. I opened it up and to store some stuff for school and my screen is dark. I can still see things enough that I moved my pictures over to my portable hard drive but I'd honestly prefer to have my laptop available for school work since that's what I got it for in the first place. It looks like it was either dropped or stepped on. Nothing looks cracked. It doesn't sound like anything was shaken loose. I can always snap a picture so people can see exactly what I'm talking about but what I really want to know is can I get it fixed? I *really* don't want to buy another laptop. I love my hp and it's been a *great* piece of equipment for me. I want to say that I'm not against buying a new laptop. I'm just really not in the market for one immediately and I'd rather not buy one just to buy one that'll work for now. I'm not even sure where exactly I would take it to, to be honest. I've never had anything like this because I try to take care of the machines I have but I guess that becomes an obstacle with a four year old around.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi Cenfath,

This may be a really silly suggestion, but . . .

'It's not cracked, it doesn't rattle' does not exclude phyical damage, but the fact that you say you can still see things enough to move files around does suggest that the computer is still working.

Could it possibly be that your niece has turned the brilliance control all the way down ? On the laptop I am using at the moment it's Fn ( beside the Control key ) and F7 to increase brightness. No guarrantee it is the same buttons on your laptop, but there should be one key with a sun symbol and an up arrow to increase brightness and one with a down arrow to reduce it.

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove :wink:

#3 Cenfath

Cenfath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

No, it's definitely not the brilliance unfortunately. Wish there was a way for me to put an image here so you could see but the background I'm using is a vista background that's like bluish green? When looking at my screen now it looks red and black and the part of the picture that's now red is grainy.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hi again,

That sounds like your screen is shot, but you need professional advice on this. If you have a local repair shop I would suggest taking it there for a hands-on opinion, but be warned. If it is the screen, you may be as well thinking about a new laptop, screens are usually fairly expensive parts.

Sorry I can't help you beyond that, I live about 4000 miles from Oklahoma !

All the best,

Chris Cosgrove :P

#5 Cenfath

Cenfath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

I love Scotland. :P

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

HP / Compaq = http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html
There are usually links to the service manuals too.

If you are handy you can change the screen yourself. They run around $100 depending on size & type. You can make it easy on yourself if you can find a complete working setup on ebay. must be working and not for parts. By complete I mean the back, the bezel, the Inverter, cable, hinges & LCD panel still assembled. The it becomes unplug the
Video cable
Webcam cable
Wireless antenna cables
remove a few screws and swap the assembly.
Reverse to finish.

Since I do not know your model here is an example of what I mean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DV7-1451NR-screen-assembly-17-/270874071812

Condition: Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections

You are bidding on a Used Working HP DV7 - 1451NR as seen in the picture ,
this is the actual picture of the screen you will receive.

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-NX9600-Laptop-glossy-screen-17-complete-assembly-/260945224334?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D270874071812%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5983579027060725696

Wire end snap clips for wireless were cut but no big deal

It is a big deal as the reason for buying this one would be to just be able to swap it without having to open it. The ends that connect to the wireless being snipped would mean a total disassembly of the old and the new to get the wireless working, so Yeah big deal.

Read all the details.

Use the service manual and if you are not sure how to disconnect something like the keyboard or power board flat cable ask. They are not a pull them out to release and push back in. They usually have a slider or a flip up. If unsure how to do something post a image of it for details on how to do it.

Laptops are full of sensative and delicate parts.

BTW the complete model number is on a label on the bottom. IE Screen may say dv7 but the entire model number on the bottom is dv7-1464nr for example.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 January 2012 - 05:05 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users