Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash memory card drives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 franky5

franky5

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hello

I have an HP Media Center edition 2005 CPU running XP SP3. It has four memory card slots in the front. They normally appear when I select 'My Computer' and are labeled G,H,I, and J. They have worked just a few days ago and today they don't show up. They don't recognize a card when put into the slot. Rebooting didn't bring them back.

I looked in Device manager and everything there says it is working okay. I searched the help and support guide and found the drives under 'Storage Media Drives'/Libraries. All the card drives have a red 'X' infront of them. I followed the directions to enable the libraries but they were already enabled. All the USB ports work.

I thought I would try doing a restore to a previous date but found the restore feature had been shut off and all my restore points gone.

Does anyone know how to get the drives back.

Thank you, Franky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

Try uninstalling the drivers for said drives...in Device Manager...then rebooting.

Louis

#3 franky5

franky5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hi Louis

Thanks for the reply. I did think of that, however, I don't see these drives listed. If they go under a different description I wouldn't want to delete the wrong thing. When I was in the removable storage window it gave the option to delete. I'm not familiar with what deleting would do. It doesn't sound the same as uninstalling.

Franky

#4 franky5

franky5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hello again

I found the answer to the problem so I thought I would put it here for anyone else that has the same problem some day.

To begin with, and I don't know why I did it, I clicked on the 'Safe to remove hardware' icon in the tray and selected to disconnect. That wasn't what I wanted to do. It disconnected alright!!!

The fix was to:

1) Shut down the computer.

2) Disconnect the cable from the card reades fom the mother board.

3) Reboot the computer. (I looked under Device manager and expanded 'Disk Drives' and verified what was showing.) Non of the card slot drives were showing.

4) Shut down the computer.

5) Reconnected the cable.

6) Reboot the computer. (I looked again in device manager and expanded the 'Disk Drives' and the card slot drives were now back.)

Next time I want to remove a card I will select the drive and choose 'eject' like I already knew how to do!!!

Some days I shouldn't get out of bed!!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

:thumbsup: , glad you resolved it and thanks for letting us know what did the trick.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users