Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random stutter in all games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HavokTheorem

HavokTheorem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Not long ago I got a Gigabyte HD 6950 (1gb version). I've enjoyed the significant performance boost but I've been plagued by an odd problem - in every game, I get random clusters of lag which last a fraction of a second and come in groups of 1-5 stutters.
While the problem persists in all games and all GPU applications for that matter, the nature differs. For example, in Battlefield 3, the video output still runs but I cannot control the game at all - no keys, mouse movement or input works for a brief moment - often enough to die. In most other games, the screen simply freezes for a moment. I am running the latest stable drivers (11.12 I believe).
I've endured it for a long time and hoped that maybe a new driver update would solve it, but it's wrecking my gameplay experience and Im wondering if theres a simple solution. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Remove the Catalyst Control Center software, and see if it still happens.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

I once had a similar problem, my power supply was not quite big enough. Is yours big enough? :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 HavokTheorem

HavokTheorem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

I probably should have mentioned: I had a crap 530W PSU but it blew on me, so I got a 620W one, which Im sure is sufficient for my system. Everything operated fine after i replaced, but could the fused PSU have damaged the card, or is this strictly a software issue?
I uninstalled and cleaned up my old drivers and (they were quite messy, so to speak), but obviously it's impossible to run anything without drivers so I installed 12.1 from AMD's site. I presume this is the correct thing to do, unless you meant uninstall CCC. Unfortunately the problem persists.

My system specs if they matter:
78LMT-S2P Mobo with Phenom II 955 BE @3.2Ghz
4gb DDR3 1333
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 1GB (3 fan version)
500gb Caviar Blue HDD + 60Gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD (boot drive)
620w Antec Neo ECO
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

My windows install is quite fresh as I installed it on my SSD at the same time as I installed the card. I renamed the driver folders to install 12.1 fresh.

#5 HavokTheorem

HavokTheorem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

Okay, just did another driver uninstall and reinstall and I played a game of BF3 with no stutter. Seems to be fixed.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

Did you install the Catalyst Control Center because its not really needed.

You can install just the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users