Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Address resolving from name to IP.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seamonk

seamonk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Checking my Netstat/TCPView I have began to see that my Local Address have been "resolved" (I guess thats the correct title for this phenomena).

Usually the Local Adress is the name of the computer or the username.
Check this image for example (its not my tcpview, just Googled it to make my point): http://ttcshelbyville.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/tcpview.jpg

The username is in this example the name of the computer/username "x1984.." but under my Local Address my internal IP is showing instead.

What may cause this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

That is by design, and not abnormal. it happens because your computer also has a name called its NetBIOS name:

Posted Image

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#3 seamonk

seamonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

That is by design, and not abnormal. it happens because your computer also has a name called its NetBIOS name:

Posted Image

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Not sure I understand what your attached pic is supposed to show?
My Netbios is turned off. I have reinstalled my computer but the IP address have kept coming back all of a sudden.

Edited by seamonk, 27 January 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

You cannot turn off NetBIOS your entire computer would fail to do anything. NetBIOS is a critical service for Windows Applications and Services.

Look at my picture again under lsass.exe you will see my computer which is capricorn and domain of home as such becoming capricorn.home which resolves to both my internal IP of 127.0.0.1 and my interface card of 192.168.1.13 so what you are exhibiting is absolutely normal.

#5 seamonk

seamonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

You cannot turn off NetBIOS your entire computer would fail to do anything. NetBIOS is a critical service for Windows Applications and Services.

Look at my picture again under lsass.exe you will see my computer which is capricorn and domain of home as such becoming capricorn.home which resolves to both my internal IP of 127.0.0.1 and my interface card of 192.168.1.13 so what you are exhibiting is absolutely normal.

Compared to your example I see no name at all under local address but my internal IP - 192.168.0.100. Maybe we are talking about different stuff, maybe this isnt called resolving as I thought.
Regarding Netbios, I have inactivated it "over tcp ip".

Edited by seamonk, 27 January 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

Please run the Mini-Toolbox as requested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users