Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to edimax signal extender with a xp laptop

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 mar201

mar201

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

I have a problem with accessing the internet on a laptop via an edimax 7416apn v2 range extender.
I have two laptops in the same room and one of them works fine using the edimax and the other doesn't.
very annoying.

the edimax is connected to my main router with an ethernet cable and then wirelessly to both laptops in a different room but as i've said, only one of the laptops has recognised the edimax.

Not sure if it's a problem with windows xp. It's odd as I carried out the set up instructions on both laptops.

any help appreciated.
thanks

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2012 - 09:55 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

What is the other lap top running for an operating system?

#3 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

it's also windows xp

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

Same service pack levels with all patches applied?

#5 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

'O' not sure about that !!
I bought the working laptop on ebay and it came with xp installed.

the laptop that doesn't work, I had to reinstall everything again a few months ago due to a blue screen.
I changed the bios to start up on disk then after it installed, I went online and downloaded all the drivers.

I think someone from this forum helped me with it actually.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Run this on both machines:

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#7 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YpAjHjlFWDTuWhBNLOLSIe3

hope i've done it right.
this spec is for the laptop that doesnt' work.

I can't do it for the one that does work as my wife took it away with her today.

thanks

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

navigate to administrative tools via Start > Settings > Control Panel and locate Services start it up, and find Wireless Zero Config, and start it up automatically.

#9 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Ok i did that.
the "service status" says "started"

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

It should now allow you to connect to the wireless device using your settings.

#11 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

it still isn't picking up the edimax extender which is sitting right next to the computer and connected to the main router (via cable) which is in a different part of the house. My wireless connection on my laptop keeps trying to connect to the main router but can't because it's too far away. It can't see the edimax for some reason.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hi

I notice that you are using a Dell wireless network card that I believe works with 802.11b/g but not 802.11n.

Is the Extender setup to work with 802.11b or 802.11g or is it set exclusively to 802.11n?

James

#13 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

As far as I can tell, the edimax is set up for b+g+n

I have to use the following IP to set it up online.

ip address
so I put the ip address above into my lan connection via properties and tcp/ip and "select ip address".

I was then asked to put the following IP address into the browser
which takes me to a login page.

I can only get to the login page when I connect the edimax to my laptop via ethernet and the laptop is in the same room as my bt home hub router.

However, the instructions appear to tell me to connect the edimax to my bt home hub router (via ethernet) but when I do this, when I try to load 192.168.2.1, the page can't be found.

last time I attempted a set up, I went online and changed the mode setting from AP to universal. It didn't make any difference.

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi

I need some clarification on what the problem is :)

Is this what is happening?

1. You plug the Edimax Extender into your router.

2. You turn on one of your laptops and it shows you the available wireless networks and in that list of available networks, you see the Edimax Extender and you can proceed to connect to it and access the internet.

3. You turn on your other laptop and it shows you the available wireless networks and in that list of available networks, you do not see the Edimax Extender and thus can not even attempt to connect to it.

Is this the situation?

James

#15 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

Hi

I need some clarification on what the problem is :)

Is this what is happening?

1. You plug the Edimax Extender into your router. YES

2. You turn on one of your laptops and it shows you the available wireless networks and in that list of available networks, you see the Edimax Extender and you can proceed to connect to it and access the internet. NOT QUITE. FOR THE LAPTOP THAT WORKS, IT JUST FINDS THE EDIMAX SIGNAL AND CONNECTS AUTOMATICALLY TO THE INTERNET. I THEREFORE DONT' NEED TO LOOK FOR AVAILABLE NETWORKS.

3. You turn on your other laptop and it shows you the available wireless networks and in that list of available networks, you do not see the Edimax Extender and thus can not even attempt to connect to it.YES, FOR THE LAPTOP THAT DOESN'T WORK, WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON THE TRAY AND SELECT "VIEW AVAILABLE WIRELESS NETWORKS", THERE ARE NO AVAILABLE NETWORKS SHOWING AND IT JUST SAYS "WINDOWS CANNOT CONFIGURE THIS WIRELESS CONNECTION..."
MEANWHILE THE LAPTOP CONTINUALLY ATTEMPTS TO CONNECT TO MY HOME HUB WHICH IS TOO FAR AWAY. IT CAN HOWEVER CONNECT TO MY HOME HUB WHEN I MOVE THE LAPTOP CLOSE TO IT.
THANKS

Is this the situation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users