Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After power loss, Browser won't run

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computerdummie1

computerdummie1

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Hi All,

I am having a problem opening up my browser. I still use Netscape Navigator as my main browser. Yes, I know it's old, but it has worked fine for my limited computer use. I do use Internet Explorer now and then, including now to log in here, but I will admit for many reasons I hate it. I simply can't figure out, Netscape to a computer dummie like me, that does limited stuff online works just fine thank you, and I know how to use it.

I posted a few weeks ago about slow computer problems and freezing up. I was told to go through all the steps in the slow computer info here. I have spent the last few weeks slowly making my way through the list. The only thing that really helped a little, was not on the list - it involved opening up my computer to clean out some of the pet hair inside.

So my computer still is barely running, still runs painfully slow, still freezes up all the time. I give up, I'm going to eventually within the next month try to afford a new computer. But I really need to get into my Netscape to access my bookmarks and stuff and to hopefully get it limping and usable for another month or so.

Anyway this all started this morning, when my computer was freezing up as it usually does after being online a while, and I did the only thing that has worked - unplugging it.

Something in this drastic measure messed up Netscape today. It will start to open, the Netscape window opens, then freezes, with a blank white screen - and the only way to get out of it is to use alt/cntl/delete. I have tried again and again and again.....

I spent all day googling fixes. And trying them all to no avail. I have run scandisk. I ran malwerebytes (nothing found) I did disk refragmenting. I did a windows system restore. I have updated my avast virus protection. I have rebooted a dozen times today.

Nothing works. My Netscape browser will not run. I'm so frustrated, and would so appreciate any and all advice, which I will do exactly what you experts tell me to do. If I can just get my good ole Netscape to run for a short while longer.....

I will be more than happy to provide any information and/or answer any questions.

Thank you in advance for anyone that can take the time to help me.

Here is my System Info.

System info -
Windows Vista Home Basic
Service Pack 1

Hewlitt Packard Company
Model SR2170NX
2.4 Windows Experience Index
Processor -Intel Premium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 2.99GHz
Memory - 1.00GB
32-bit operating system

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:20 AM

There are a lot of alternative browsers today other than Netscape. IE, FF, Chrome, Opera to name the dominant ones.

Tekken

#3 computerdummie1

computerdummie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hi,

Hi, I believe the issue I have having now, has nothng to do with it being an older browser but some computer glitch that could affect any browser.

Regardless of what browser I eventually end up using, I need to get back into my Netscape to retrieve all my bookmarks and passwords to websites.

I feel this issue does not have anything to do with Netscape being old, but a general computer problem that could affect any browser. There is some little glitch that unplugging my computer made happen - but I don't know what it is.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

Does IE work properly?

Did you try uninstalling, reinstalling, or repairing Netscape?

Bookmark removal/duplication...does not require access to the browser. All bookmarks are stored on files which can be accessed via Explorer and then copied/backed up, moved, etc...AFAIK.

Hard shutdowns can damage files, I recommend running the chkdsk /r command after such take place.

Louis

#5 computerdummie1

computerdummie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

Yes, IE works. Slow as all heck as everything else on this computer.

Yes, I tried re-installing netscape, found a version online, loaded it, and the EXACT same issue, no change, Netscape starts to open, the window appears, then freezes with a white screen and the only way to shut it down is alt/cntrl/delete

It's some simple glitch, I'm sure a computer expert would do a click or two and it would work. Something got messed up when I unplugged it.

I ran the windows disk thing, it took a couple of hours, and nothing changed.

Any ideas? I will try anything! I'm headed out to work now, and won't be able to check responses for a few days, but thank you so much for your time, I appreciate it!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Slowness may just be issues that come with your system.

Let's try this, Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users