Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do Identify Which USB Port is Which?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 paligal

paligal

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

Hi. I have searched for answers to this to no avail. I would have thought it would be a very basic thing.

I have a USB port on the left side of my computer which, for some reason, broke off in the plug from a USB cable I had plugged into it. Actually, when I pulled the cable out, the "guts" of the USB port came with the plug. Anyway, it is now broken. Right after that, I noticed light electric shocks on that side of my laptop and I got the error message that there was a power surge on my USB port. It continues to do that.

So, I want to disable that USB port to see if that fixes the problem. However, I have several other USB ports that work fine on my computer. I want to keep those. But in the Device Manager where I see a list of my Intel USB Universal Host Controllers, I have no clue which one corresponds to the broken USB port that is surging power. How on earth do I find out which is which so I can disable it?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

Have no idea how you would tell, best way would be to shut one down and then check your usb ports to see which one is not working, process of elimination. I do not think that this will shut down the power to that plug, so it will still be shorting out. You really need to take it in and get it fixed or at least maybe they can isolate it. Hope this helps and you get it figured out.

Good luck,
Jelerak

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

Its actually the USB port/hub not controllers that you need to disable. If you right-click each port, Properties with a device attached and look for Power tab, you will see the device being reported under Attached device.

Tekken

#4 paligal

paligal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:03 AM

Hi jhays,

It lists 7 different USB Root Hub. I found that the last one listed my device plugged in. But when I plugged the device into the other remaining working USB port, it also showed up on that last one of 7. I still can't figure out which one I should disable to correspond to the broken USB port on the left side of my laptop...

Other thoughts?

Thanks!

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

Can you post a screenshot image while USB Controllers expanded together with the laptop model? You will see a host controller from the desciption on General tabs for each port. But in your case, there might be an actual contact or causing shortage from the broken port that needs to be physically detached.But of course the enabling/disabling might be worth a shot first.

Tekken

#6 paligal

paligal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

Tried to insert screenshot. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61. Attached File  scrnsht.png   50.48KB   18 downloads

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:44 AM

Two things. Remove the device which could cause the power surge error and then disable 2 USB root hub alternately. Use another USB device to check on the problem.

Tekken

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

With the laptop off and the battery and AC adapter removed look at the damaged port.

It sounds to me as if when the plastic part of the port came out the wire (Pins) that make the connection stayed in their. I have seen them short against each other or the metal shell.

If you see that happening. Straighten them out and being sure none of the four are touching each other or the metal shell see if you still get that error. If the error is gone then being careful you could fill that USB plug with Hot Melt glue or epoxy to keep the pins from shifting and shorting in the future.

It is also possible that if that doesn't help then the electronics are damaged. I've witnessed both scenarios including one where they kept on plugging things into the broken port and mashing the pins and ended up killing the motherboard.

I've also seen laptops where some of the USB ports are soldered to the motherboard and the other ones are connected with a cable to the Mobo.

Desktops the front ports usually hook up with a cable that can be disconnected too.

Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad R61, R61i and T61 14.1inch widescreen
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-67760

Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T61, T61p 15.4inch widescreen (type 6457, 6458, 6459, 6460, 6461, 6462, 6463, 6464, 6465, 6466, 6467, 6468, 6470, and 6471)
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-67980

For example in the manual. BTW FRU is IBM speak for something like "Field Replaceable Unit", Parts to most of us.

Removing and replacing a FRU This section presents directions and drawings for use in removing and replacing a FRU. Be sure to observe the following general rules:

This section shows that some USB ports are hooked up with a cable.

1190 Base cover and USB sub card with cable

Edited by rotor123, 28 January 2012 - 11:52 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

worrying about plugging something into the broken usb jack ,this is what i did when i had one like yours , i made sure none of the metal plugs left inside the jack were touching one another .i used a hot glue gun and filled the jack with glue ,remember when checking for broken pins inside the jack to remove the power source and the battery ,hold in the power button to drain power from motherboard

Edited by caperjac, 28 January 2012 - 12:37 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users