Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which ssd as a boot drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doc78

doc78

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

hello all.

i am putting together a new machine, and have decided to use an ssd as a boot drive. before i spend my hard earned money, i have a few questions.

1) if i am only using the drive for windows (minus "user" and "program files" folders) will 64gb be large enough? if i can get away with that over 120gb+ and save a few bucks that would be sweet.

2) which drives are using the most reliable controllers? it seems like i need to stay away from the sandforce drives, but what else should i be aware of? a quick google search made it seem like the crucial m4 drives have a decent track record.

this one here seems like a pretty killer deal. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

3) is it even worth it? i figure another $100-$150 while building a new system isn't the end of the world, but is the increase in speed worth the potential headaches?

i've done my share of reading and googleing, but i figure you guys are the experts and will have the most up to date info. thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

I chose a Intel 510 120 GB after a lot of research. Reliability is as good as you get with a 5 year warranty. Intel products have always treated me well. Many people who have smaller that 120 GB have posted on many good forums that they wish they would have got a bigger SSD. Also many look and the read/wright test, charts and grafts but to me it doesn't matter. SSD's are so fast you will never see the difference. How fast it worked yesterday when it's broke today is not a good thing.
WARNING. SSD's are habit forming. After the first one you will want more.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Intel SSD's are very good, I have one and haven't had any issues. They are often pricey though. Samsung drives are also pretty good, they make a large portion of the NAND memory anyway. The increase in speed is worth it, but it isn't an "end all" if your system isn't good to begin with.

3939.png

#4 doc78

doc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

thanks for the replies. i'll look into the intel and samsung drives a little more before making a decision. seems like a 120gb is gonna be what i end up getting if i go for it.

#5 philo-sofa

philo-sofa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

TBH I think with the state of things now (both Intel 510 and Samsung 830 have had BSOD issues), any sandforce drive (like the OCZ Vertex or Agility) will be best. They've had the longest to iron out kinks.
i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz | Prolimatech Megashadow & 120mm Gelid | MSI P55-GD65 | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 CL8 | Sapphire AMD HD 6970 (flashed from HD 6950) @ 910/5600 MHz | 2x 160GB Intel 320 Series (RAID 0), 1.5TB + 2TB Seagate | Corsair AX-750 | Silverstone TJ10B-WESA | Samsung 2443BW | Logitech G19 | Logitech G500

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

FWIW I have four (4) Intel 320 Series in the house with no problems. I did the firmware update. They have a 5 year warranty.

Two in laptops and two in I7 desktops. I'm still wary of sandforce controller drives.

The Two Samsungs I have are good too. But they were 60, maybe 64Gb, I don't recall for sure and ended up being to small.

I suggest based on past experience to go 120Gb or larger.

Edited by rotor123, 28 January 2012 - 12:38 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users