Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.net framework runtime for xp+sp3 Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xspurs

xspurs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

I have my "nLite" xp pro +SP3 installed and running perfectly with NO .net framework installed. I removed ALL versions from the Windows directory and all references from the registry. Now I want to run apps that require .net to be installed......
I have no interest in the redistributables or the SDK. My computer is on the internet via a permy broadfband connection and is a standalone workstation.
How can I get the appropriate runtime files ONLY?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

<<I have no interest in the redistributables or the SDK.>>

Well...some applications requiring a given version of MS.NET include that version in installation package.

Aside from that, in consideration of your statement...the only source I know of for such files is the Windows Update mechanism, whic is not attuned to the needs of a given app.

Louis

#3 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi

I understand your desire to remove the extraneous baggage of the .Net framework.

.Net apps require the Common Language Runtime (CLR) and all of its dependencies in order to compile the code on the fly. It uses a just-in-time (JIT) compiler to change the .Net app to machine code and run it instead of like a normal .exe file that is already in the form of machine code. The advantages of this can be found by searching the web for pages about the reasons for and against using .Net for development.

These apps also almost always require Assembly files which are code libraries used for deployment written in Common Intermediate Language (CIL) and then compiled into machine language at run time by the CLR just-in-time compiler. Kind of like standard library files in C or C++. In C or C++ they are compiled into the application as machine code, in .Net they are called and compiled as the application runs and therefore need to be accessible by the computer at runtime. In C or C++ you only use the libraries that you need while in .Net a lot of common libraries that you might need are made accessible to the computer (usually as files on the hard drive).

So, this means that you need a lot of luggage to run a .Net app.

Just about the only thing you can safely remove from the framework are assemblies that the program you want to run doesn't use and perhaps some of the files that support aspects of the CLR that the program does not use.

A daunting task to say the least. :)

My biggest complaint with programming for Microsoft products over the years (I am an MCSD) is that it is so hard to trim down a program to be as small as possible because of all the extras that are automatically thrown in. That said, I do enjoy using their tools and I like .Net. It's not perfect but I get things done for my clients faster because of it.

Hope this helps explain why it is difficult to only install a small part of the .Net Framework.
James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 27 January 2012 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users